Job profile for the appointment of Assistant Chief Fire Officer
Grade: c. £92K.
Date Prepared: December 2020.
The post of ACFO is fully aligned with elements of the NFCC Leadership Framework.
The role will be subject to the NJC Constitution and Scheme of Conditions of Service Fifth Edition 2006 (Gold Book).
The Fire and Rescue Service is a core role within Gloucestershire County Council and, as a result, offers a breadth of responsibilities and opportunities for a Assistant Chief Fire Officer. This extends to functions which include Community Safety, Civil Protection, Trading Standards, Coroners Service and other relevant functions across the County Council, all of which ensure that we prevent harm to our communities, whilst achieving value for money and high quality customer service.
GFRS operates within a shared services model and this role includes the effective management of business to business relationships for HR, Finance, Procurement, Communications and Organisational Development. Working as a key member of the Council’s Leadership Team you will be accountable for ensuring professional standards are met.
This will be achieved by:
- Undertaking the role of Commanding Principal Officer at gold command level at major incidents when required and attending fires or other incidents as required.
- Role modelling and promoting the County Council’s vision, values and priorities effectively to staff, partners and the public.
- Creating an efficient and effective organisation where people are proud to work.
- Representing the County Council in the community and developing productive partnership working.
- Providing effective leadership, including:
- Agreeing clear targets and driving organisational performance.
- Carrying out regular assistant reviews of progress and taking positive action where necessary.
- Undertaking regular appraisal of key service managers.
- Identifying development needs and securing appropriate opportunities to manage talent and support succession planning through coaching, mentoring, GCC and partner leadership development pathways.
- Ensuring high standards of performance and tackling under-performance positively and effectively where necessary.
- Ensuring the operational assurance needs of the Service are met.
- Developing GFRS strategy, policies and business plans.
- Ensuring budgets are planned and controlled effectively and oversee the Medium Term Financial Strategy.
- Assisting in leading the modernisation of the Fire and Rescue Service, whilst strengthening its capacity and resilience.
- Taking responsibility for ensuring the implementation of transformation within GFRS.
- Carrying out the responsibilities devolved to the post in the Council’s Constitution and policies.
- Supporting the development of an employee engagement culture including positive relationships with representative bodies.
- A clear and strong focus on inclusion and driving the Service to become representative of our communities with a positive culture of respect and equality.
- Demonstrating leadership through role-modelling and championing the council's values including equality, value for money, sustainability and safety.
If you believe you can fulfil this job profile and meet the person specification, then we welcome your application.