Adult Social Care, Litigation and Support
Whilst the smallest of the Legal Services teams in size, we have the largest variety of work. We are a small friendly team, headed by Bonnie Styles, which is currently in the process of expanding.
Areas of expertise
- All aspects of adult social care
- Trading Standards policies, procedure and prosecutions
- Gloucestershire Fire and Rescue Service policies, procedures and prosecutions
- Highways stopping up of land applications, s130A & s56 Complaint challenges, maintenance or ownership disputes and emergency s77 CJPOA removal of unauthorised campers applications
- Planning breach of condition prosecutions
- Offering advice and support to HR professionals and employers regarding employment matters such as disciplinary, grievance and redundancy processes
- Integrated Transport Blue Badge misuse prosecutions and parking appeal review hearings
- Information Management Service data protection queries and CPS onward disclosure requests
- Coroners or Registration Service queries
- Internal Dispute Resolution under LGPS
- Debt recovery
Bonnie recently helped Highway Records successfully defend an unusual and contentious claim at Magistrates’ Court. Her clarity in explaining the complex issues to the Magistrates was much appreciated. The Highway Records team require the support of the Litigation team in taking applications to Magistrates’ Court to formally stop-up sections of highway. It’s always useful to know that “i’s” have been dotted and “t’s” crossed to help matters run smoothly on the day.
Karen - Asset Data Team Leader (Highways Records)
Our team covers a breadth of diverse and sometimes complex law areas in which our expert lawyers will offer advice, support and advocacy to achieve the best results. Our team is subdivided into three areas as follows:
Adult Social Care
We cover all aspects of adult social care including advice on the Mental Capacity Act and applications to the Court of Protection regarding for example welfare, property and finances and deprivation of liberty. Other areas covered include ordinary residence disputes, advice on challenges to social care assessments and support plans, advice on financial assessments, direct payments and deferred payments, and all aspects of the Care Act 2014. In addition we recover adult social care debts.
We cover all aspects of litigation including, but not limited to, Criminal proceedings, Civil proceedings, Employment Tribunals, Judicial Reviews & Local Government Ombudsman complaints.
We have a dedicated team of officers managed by the Practice Manager, who provide a pivotal support service to the whole Legal Services department. This team liaises closely with other service areas such as Finance and IT. They process invoice payments and in addition ensure that all lawyers and legal assistants are provided with any support necessary to ensure the smooth running of the service.