Library services for sight impaired people
If you enjoy reading, but find print difficult, Gloucestershire Libraries can help.
A wide range of services are on offer to sight impaired children and adults. Many are free and these include:
- Large Print books - all libraries stock a wide range of titles to suit every taste and interest. Titles are listed on the library catalogue. Opens new window
- Audio books on CD all libraries stock audio books which can be hired
- Free eAudio and eBook titles
- Internet and computers - including Supernova a full screen reader offering magnification, speech and Braille support. Gloucestershire Libraries has installed the Supernova software on all its People's Network PCs.
- On-line library enquiry services
- Concessions - you may be eligible for concessions from some specific library charges. Please speak to a member of our staff.
Audio books by post
if you want free audio books delivered to your door, you can contact the following organisations
- Calibre Audio Library - supply books in a variety of formats. Tel: 01296 432339 or go to Calibre Audio Library
- RNIB Talking Books - supply books in a variety of formats. Tel: 0303 123 9999 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you need more information or help to apply please contact:
- Insight Gloucestershire - Insight Gloucestershire Tel: 01242 221170
- Forest Sensory Services - Forest Sensory Services Tel 01594 827711
Local Talking Newspapers
Free audio versions of the news in your area. For Gloucestershire's papers go to Talking Newspapers
The National Talking Newspaper Service
Over 200 national newspapers and magazines on cassette and CD and an electronic service, using e-mail and the Internet. Visit the RNIB newsdesk or telephone 01435 866102.
A weekly large print newspaper with a TV and radio listing. For a sample copy, please contact RNIB Big Print, on 0303 123 9999 or visit the the RNIB Big Print website .Opens new window
A website that enables readers to find books in accessible formats, join libraries and participate in reading groups and activities. Opens new window