Cheltenham (including Children's Library and Local Studies)
Find out when Cheltenham Library is open and what you can do there.
Mondays: 9am – 7pm
Tuesdays: 9am – 5.30pm
Wednesdays: 9am – 7pm
Thursdays: 9am – 5.30pm
Fridays: 9am – 7pm
Saturdays: 9am – 4pm
Mondays: 10am-1pm & 2pm–5pm
Tuesdays: 10am-1pm & 2pm–5pm
Wednesdays: 10am – 1pm & 2pm-5pm
Thursdays: 10am-1pm & 2pm–5pm
Fridays: 10am-1pm & 2pm–5pm
Saturdays: 9am - 1pm & 2pm-4pm
What we offer
- Library catalogue – search, reserve and manage your account online
- Hire DVDs and Spoken Word CDs (charges apply)
- Return books in person or use “drop box” outside opening hours
- Health and Well Being/Books on Prescription
- Reading Group Sets for loan
- Ask Us – reference service
- Virtual Reference Library
- Local information display board
- Access to Which? online within Cheltenham Library
- Age related bus pass renewals/replacement and replacement (lost/stolen) disability bus passes.
- Card payment facilities
Computers and internet
- PCs with internet access (free for library members, charges apply for non members)
- Dedicated scan pc - please book online in advance of your visit or contact the library to book your session (free for members, printing charges apply)
- Printing (computer booking required), charges apply
- Free public Wi-Fi
- Book a computer
Children and young people
First Floor Balcony
Tables on the first floor balcony are available to use for pre-booked sessions. To book a table on the balcony click here [selection Cheltenham as the library location, then choose "Balcony Desks" from the drop down list] or telephone the library on 01242 532 686.
Local Studies Library
We are operating an appointment system for all visitors to Cheltenham Local Studies Library. This is to ensure that the recommended social distancing measures can be observed at all times.
Make a booking and let us know what materials, type and subject, you are interested in.
We need 3 working days’ notice and you can order up to 10 items per visit.
You can search our online catalogue to see what is available.
Each booking will be confirmed by email with further information about your visit. Please read this information carefully and wait until you have received confirmation before making your visit.
If you feel unwell on the day of your visit, please call us on 01242 532686 to rearrange your appointment.
We will keep our arrangements under review in accordance with the latest Government guidance so please check the website before visiting next time.
You can also send enquiries to our Customer Advisers using this online form:
Cheltenham Local Studies Lending Collection is now available in the in Cheltenham Library where you may visit, browse and take books home to enjoy.
- Baby Bounce and Rhyme
- Please see the Library Catalogue Events for dates, times and for booking information
Services currently suspended:
- Computer buddy volunteers
- Growth Hubs business information Library Growth Hub network
- New age related/disability bus pass applications/disability bus pass renewals
- 'Pay and Display' parking nearby.
- Main library (including Local & Family History Library): ramped access at rear of building.
- Children's library: level access, automatic doors, baby change facility.
- Post box for out of hours book returns (Front door of main library and on Children's library building).
- Bike racks
- Bus services nearby