Cheltenham (including Children's Library & Local Studies)
Find out when Cheltenham Library is open and what you can do there
Monday 10:00-13:00 Collection services
Tuesday 10:00-13:00 PC access
14:00-16:00 PC access
Thursday 10:00-13:00 Collection services
14:00-16:00 Collection services
Saturday 10:00-13:00 PC Access
Customers can arrange an appointment to collect available reservations from a chosen library during "Collection Services" sessions. Items may be collected from the door of the library with no access to the inside of the building. See Request and Collection Services for details.
Computers and Printing
Details about using library computers and printing can be found here Computers and Printing
The building is closed to the public. Staff may be on site to carry out administration, preparation and cleaning tasks. Loan items can be returned using the drop box/letter box if available.
Social distancing measures will be in place at our libraries, including:
- queue management
- screens on enquiry desks
- hand sanitiser stations
- and quarantine areas for returned books.
Please remember to:
- Keep your visit as brief as possible
- Wear a face covering (unless exempt)
- Bring your library card
- Stay at home if you are self-isolating or have COVID-19 symptoms.
What we offer
- Library catalogue – search, reserve and manage your account online
- Hire DVDs, Music CDs, Spoken Word CDs (charges apply)
- Return books in person or use “drop box” outside opening hours
- Photocopying (charges apply)
- Health and Well Being/Books on Prescription
- Growth Hubs business information Library Growth Hub network
- Reading Group Sets for loan
- Ask Us – reference service
- Virtual Reference Library
- Library shop (stationery, spectacles, greeting cards)
- Local information folder/display board
- Access to Which? online within Cheltenham Library
- Events (online)
- Innovation Lab
Computers and internet
- PCs with internet access (free for library members, charges apply for non members)
- Dedicated scan pc - please book online in advance of your visit or contact the library to book your session (free for members, printing charges apply)
- Free public Wi-Fi
- Printing (computer booking required), charges apply
- Book a computer
Children and young people
- DAISY player (Digital Accessible Information System) – for use by customers with sight loss or reading difficulties for listening to audiobooks. Please ask staff for details
- Large Print collection
- Audiobooks on CD to hire
- Free E-Audiobooks via BorrowBox (app required)
- Services for sight impaired people
Local Studies Library
Sadly, due to the current situation regarding Covid, our Local Studies library is closed and newspapers are not available. However, please be assured that customers are still able to request loanable items from the library catalogue which can be collected from the Main library.
You can also email enquiries to our Customer Advisers at: firstname.lastname@example.org
The children's library collection has been relocated to the main library building. It is available for browsing and selecting books during the opening times above.
Services currently suspended:
- Access to Local Studies Library building
- Access to the Children's Library building (collection now in main library)
- Microfilm reader (booking advisable)
- Apply for a bus pass (if you don't have a computer)
- All groups
- Computer buddy volunteers
- Refreshments (self service tea/coffee, cold drinks)
- 'Pay and Display' parking nearby.
- Main library: ramped access at rear of building.
- Children's library: level access, automatic doors, baby change facility.
- Local & Family History Library: lift access, automatic doors.
- Post box for out of hours book returns (Front door of main library and on Children's library building).