Cheltenham (including Children's Library & Local Studies)
Find out when Cheltenham Library is open and what you can do there
Opening times from Monday 19th July
Mondays: 9am – 7pm
Tuesdays: 9am – 5.30pm
Wednesdays: 9am – 1pm
Thursdays: 9am – 5.30pm
Fridays: 9am – 7pm
Saturdays: 10am – 1pm (includes a Reserve and Collect session)
Mondays: 9am – 5pm
Tuesdays: 9am – 5pm
Wednesdays: 9am – 1pm
Thursdays: 9am – 5pm
Fridays: 9am – 5pm
Saturdays: 10am – 1pm
Social distancing measures will remain in place at our libraries, including:
- queue management at busy times
- NHS “Track and Trace” check-in
- screens on enquiry desks
- hand sanitiser stations
- social distancing
We would ask you to:
- Keep your visit as brief as possible
- Wear a face covering (unless exempt) for both staff and others ongoing safety
- Bring your library card
- Stay at home if you are self-isolating or have COVID-19 symptoms.
What we offer
- Library catalogue – search, reserve and manage your account online
- Hire DVDs, Music CDs, Spoken Word CDs (charges apply)
- Return books in person or use “drop box” outside opening hours
- Health and Well Being/Books on Prescription
- Growth Hubs business information Library Growth Hub network
- Reading Group Sets for loan
- Ask Us – reference service
- Virtual Reference Library
- Library shop (stationery, spectacles, greeting cards)
- Local information folder/display board
- Access to Which? online within Cheltenham Library
- Innovation Lab
- Bus pass renewals (age related only)
Computers and internet
- PCs with internet access (free for library members, charges apply for non members)
- Dedicated scan pc - please book online in advance of your visit or contact the library to book your session (free for members, printing charges apply)
- Printing (computer booking required), charges apply
- Free public Wi-Fi
- Book a computer
Children and young people
- DAISY player (Digital Accessible Information System) – for use by customers with sight loss or reading difficulties for listening to audiobooks. Please ask staff for details
- Large Print collection
- Audiobooks on CD to hire
- Free E-Audiobooks via BorrowBox (app required)
- Services for sight impaired people
- Bus pass renewals (age related/disability)
First Floor Balcony
From 5th July tables on the first floor balcony are available to use for pre-booked sessions. To book a table on the balcony click here [selection Cheltenham as the library location, then choose "Balcony Desks" from the drop down list] or telephone the library on 01242 532 686.
Local Studies Library
From 12th July we are operating an appointment system for all visitors to Cheltenham Local Studies Library. This is to ensure that the recommended social distancing measures can be observed at all times.
Make a booking and let us know what materials, type and subject, you are interested in.
We need 3 working days’ notice and you can order up to 10 items per visit.
You can search our online catalogue to see what is available.
Each booking will be confirmed by email with further information about your visit. Please read this information carefully and wait until you have received confirmation before making your visit.
If you feel unwell on the day of your visit, please call us on 01242 532693 to rearrange your appointment.
We will keep our arrangements under review in accordance with the latest Government guidance so please check the website before visiting next time.
You can also email enquiries to our Customer Advisers at: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Children's Library collection has been returned to Chester Walk and will be available for browsing and selecting books from Saturday 10th July 2021 during the opening times above.
Services currently suspended:
- Access to Local Studies Library building
- Microfilm reader (booking advisable)
- Computer buddy volunteers
- Refreshments (self service tea/coffee, cold drinks)
- New age related/disability bus pass applications/disability bus pass renewals
- 'Pay and Display' parking nearby.
- Main library: ramped access at rear of building.
- Children's library: level access, automatic doors, baby change facility.
- Local & Family History Library: lift access, automatic doors.
- Post box for out of hours book returns (Front door of main library and on Children's library building).