Library membership - joining and renewing
Join the Library
If you live, work or study in Gloucestershire, or live in a county adjacent to Gloucestershire, you may join for free at any Library in the county.
If you live in Gloucestershire you can join online - just click the button below. If you do not have a Gloucestershire address you will need to join in a library.
If you do not have a permanent residential address or official documentation you will still have access to our services:
- Talk to our staff.
- We will accept a personally addressed item that has been through the postal service.
- We will accept evidence such as a Big Issue ID, or from a hostel or a charity working with you.
Renew your Membership
Your membership will expire periodically. This gives us an opportunity to check we still have the correct details for you on our system. You will receive an email a few weeks before this will happen. If you log into your account online a message will be displayed here as well.
If your details haven't changed then you can contact any library to let us know and we will renew your membership. You can do this by phone or email or in person.
If your name or address has changed, you will need to come into a library with some evidence of your new details.
If you have any queries, please contact The Library.
- If you join the library online this will be the membership type they will start with
- You can access eBooks, eAudiobooks, eMagazines and the Virtual Reference Library.
- You cannot borrow physical items from a library or use the public computers in libraries as an online member, but you can change your membership in a library to enable you to do this if you wish.
Adult/Child Instant Membership
- This is for customers who join the library without any proof of ID or address, or if a child (under 16) wants to join the library but does not have an adult with them to act as guarantor for instance on a school visit.
- You will be able to borrow 2 items, reserve items, and access eBooks, eAudiobooks, eMagazines and the Virtual Reference Library online.
- You will not be able to hire Audio CDs.
- You can use the public computers but will need to book through library staff
- You can become full members if you show staff proof of identity (for adults) or bring a guarantor (for children).
Adult / Child Membership
- These are the usual types of membership and allow full access to all our services, including borrowing up to 20 items.
- To get the full membership you will have to show evidence of ID and address. Personally addressed items which have been through the postal system are acceptable.
- If you are under 16 then you need to join with an adult to act as guarantor.
- If you are visiting the county for a limited period, for instance are on holiday or working here for a short time, then you can join in a library as a Visitor.
- You should produce either a home library card or an official document as proof of home address.
- You will be able to borrow up to 5 items.
- You will be able to pay to use the library public computers for up to a maximum of 2 hours.
- Your membership will be set to expire at the end of your visit, as discussed with library staff.
Other Membership Types
The following membership types require a visit to the library to set up:
- Home Library Service (residential homes for older people)
- Music and Drama Groups
- Reading Groups
The standard loan period is
- 21 days for books and audiobooks
- Log onto your account to see when your items are due back.
What we charge for
We will make a charge for audiobooks on CD (concessions apply) and if you don't return or renew your books on time. We also charge for some reservations and orders. Our paying for library services page has all the details.