Ask Us: Business and Patent Library Centre (PatLib)
NEW: Patent Library Centre (PatLib) – Enquiry Service providing guidance and information on protecting your intellectual property.
Gloucestershire Libraries collaborate with the UK’s PATLIB network which is a growing network of regional patent information centres supported by the Intellectual Property Office. The centre is currently based at Gloucester Library, covering Gloucestershire and beyond.
We provide local access to patent, trade mark, designs and copyright information, to help businesses and individuals understand the different types of legal protection and how to apply to protect their intellectual property (IP) assets.
What we offer
- An IP enquiry and signposting service via email/telephone. Alternatively, if you live in Gloucester feel free to pop in between our office hours and we would be happy to talk to you about any questions you may have.
- We can also assist with searching databases for Patents, Trademarks and Designs.
- Free access to Espacenet, Designview and associated IP databases via Library PC’s. Please note, PC's need to booked in advance. More information can be found here.
- A collection of literature on Intellectual Property.
If you would like to find out more, please email email@example.com or call 01452 426977. Our office hours are currently Monday to Friday 10am till 4pm.
We will be offering FREE 1:1 confidential sessions with our trained staff who will provide information on how to protect your Intellectual Property and guide you to local support and resources, whether you are just starting out or are an established business. Please note, we are not able to give legal or specialist advice.
Keep up to date with all our latest news and announcements via the @gloslibs Twitter page.
Why is Intellectual Property so important for inventors, entrepreneurs and small businesses?
Most businesses have some form of intellectual property yet few have protected these valuable intangible assets or understand their financial value. Protecting your business from the outset, allows you to take legal action against anyone who steals or copies your IP, as well as to exploit commercial opportunities such as licensing your goods or services out to third parties.
There are 4 different IP rights including:
- Patents which protect new inventions. If you want to find out if something similar to your invention already exists and has been patented you can do this by searching Espacenet which is operated by the EPO (European Patent Office).
- Trademarks which protect brands. If you want to find out whether a similar trademark already exists, you must check if anyone has already registered an identical or similar trademark for the same or similar goods or services by searching the trademark database here.
- Designs which protect the visual appearance of a product. If you want to find out if a similar design already exists, you must check if anyone has already registered an identical or similar design by searching DesignView.
- Copyright which protects literature, artistic works, software, photographs, music, films etc. Copyright is an automatic right in the UK which begins as soon as a work is fixed in tangible form. Therefore, as you get copyright protection automatically there is no official registration system for copyright works in the UK, so you do not need to apply or pay any fees.
Other Business Services from Gloucestershire Libraries
Targeted business information
- FREE business information including targeted mailing lists and company reports using our database Fame. We can also access newspaper articles regarding business and industry news via Newsbank and Fame.
The Innovation Lab Network
- Take advantage of the facilities available at our Innovation Labs - a growing network – currently available at Gloucester and Coleford Libraries. Access to 3D scanning, printing, prototyping and design software studios.
The Growth Hub
IT Facilities and Business Titles
- All libraries offer printing, photocopying and free access to library PCs and WiFi.
- FREE business magazine available via Libby – the library app for free ebooks and magazines featuring titles such as the Economist and MoneyWeek.
Upcoming local events
Join Hartpury's pre-Christmas networking event - a relaxed, festive morning of networking with innovative SMEs.
Build business relationships, enjoy a light breakfast and hear more about Hartpury’s vision to radically develop its 360-hectare campus to create a pioneering Digital Innovation Farm, in response to an increasingly digital world with global demand for new technology in farming.
Date: Monday 6 December 2021
Time: 9am - 10.30am
Venue: Agri-Tech Centre, Hartpury University and Hartpury College
This event is open to all Gloucestershire based businesses and neighbouring counties that are either working in the Agri-Tech sector or have an interest in developing new or existing products for the Agri-Tech sector.
If you would like to find out more or register your interest you can do so here.
You can also book a place on this workshop by contacting Rosie Clutson via email Rosie.Clutson@hartpury.ac.uk or alternatively via telephone 01452 702546.
Watch this space for upcoming webinars...