Reading groups and book ideas
Start a Book Club or Reading Group
Reading groups are a great way to meet people and share your love of books and reading. There is a lot of information online that can help you to start a group.
Set up a Reading Group account
Joining the library is free and to use our services for reading groups you will need to ask for a reading group membership. You can do this in any of our libraries. The group’s representative will be issued with a reading group library card.
Benefits of membership
- Over 200 titles available as reading group sets (minimum of 10 copies of each title)
- Free online reservations of reading group sets
- Reserved sets sent to your local library for you to collect
- Use the library as a place to meet – with the agreement of library staff
- Use the library as a place to advertise for group members
Finding a group near you
There are many reading groups in Gloucestershire. To find one near you, pop into your local library and ask for details or search on the Reading Agency’s website.
Join our online reading group, ‘Your Book Club’
If you’d prefer to join an online group, then why not join ‘Your Book Club’, our online reading group, hosted on Facebook. This group is for anyone who loves a good read. The Facebook page has reviews, new stock information and great read reviews. Discover our 'brilliant book series’ recommending books that you can really lose yourself in. All users are encouraged to tell the group what they thought of their reads, good, bad or indifferent.
Browse our collection of sets
To see the titles that we stock as reading group sets and to browse available sets, please visit our online catalogue
Please be aware that popular titles may have a waiting list. You can filter your search results to show which sets are available to reserve straight away. To do this, filter by ‘Titles with available items’ in the left-hand menu.
If you would like further information on searching and reserving reading group titles, please take a look at our Guidelines for Reading Groups
BorrowBox featured titles
If you enjoy eBooks and eAudiobooks then why not download your current book group title from BorrowBox. We also have featured titles each month, available for 50 days with no waiting lists so your whole group can read or listen to the same book at the same time. These titles can be found at the top of the BorrowBox app or website and via our online library catalogue.
Looking for more book inspiration? Try these websites for inspirational reading ideas
- Fantastic Fiction - search by author or title and read author biographies. Reading lists, series and sequel lists too.
- Which Book - ideas for what to read next and direct link to Gloucestershire’s library catalogue so you can check availability and reserve.
- Good Reads - book reviews, book lists and more.
- Oxford Reference - explore the literature section which contains information on writers, works, movements and their historical context. Part of our Virtual Reference Library and free with library membership.
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography – search for authors in this database of over 60,000 biographies. Part of our Virtual Reference Library and free with library membership.
Further information for reading groups can be found from the Reading Agency