Act now: Be prepared
Flooding can happen quickly. Prepare in advance to reduce the damage and disruption flooding can cause.
You are responsible for protecting yourself and your property.
Preparing an emergency kit can help you to be prepared and react quickly in the event of flooding.
Suggestions for what you might like to include in your kit are listed below:
- Insurance and other important documents
- Emergency contact numbers: Insurance helpline, local council, emergency services and landlord's details if renting
- Contact details for your water, electricity and gas suppliers
- Torch and batteries
- Portable radio (wind-up preferable) for local station updates
- Fully charged mobile phone and charging lead
- Small power bank or portable charger
- Camera (if phone doesn’t have one) to record damage for insurance purposes
- First aid kit and essential prescription medication
- Bottled water (check use-by date)
- Non-perishable food items (including energy or cereal bars)
- Warm clothes, waterproof clothes, wellington boots, rubber gloves
- Wash kit and essential toiletries (including toilet paper and wet wipes)
- Children’s / baby essentials (including baby food / nappies etc.)
- Bank cards and emergency cash