How to stay safe during a flood
Below you will find information about how to stay safe when an area has flooded.
Staying safe on the road
Do not drive down closed roads.
- Avoid travel but if you must, drive slowly and cautiously. You may know your local roads well, but a flood can alter the landscape dramatically and turn a quiet road into a potential hazard.
- Do not drive through water if you are unable to tell how deep it is. Around two feet of water is all it takes to float many cars.
- Aqua-planing (your car losing grip due to surface water) is much more likely in flood conditions.
- Drive considerately: remember any waves you create driving through flood water could flood nearby homes.
- 80% of flood-related deaths occur inside a vehicle. If your car stalls in the water, do not attempt to recover it - leave it and move yourself to safe ground.
- Let someone know your travel plans.
Page updated: 04/12/2020