What should I do during a flood?
Below are the things you should do during a flood.
- Emergency services will tell you if you need to evacuate. Follow their instructions carefully. However, a situation may arise when you have to make the decision to leave your home and seek safety. Let the emergency services know you have left as soon as you can.
- Remain calm and leave as quickly as possible.
- Get your family and pets together.
- Check if neighbours need help.
- Make sure fires are out and appliances are turned off.
- Shut all windows and lock doors.
- You may be able to arrange to stay with family or friends, or your insurance may cover the cost of alternative accommodation.
- Emergency accommodation will be provided by local authorities at a Rest Centre, if you are unable to make alternative arrangements. You will be told where the Rest Centre is located, and transport will be provided for those without.
- If you decide to stay with family or friends let the Police or your council know.
- Do not return home unless you are told by authorities that it is safe to do so.
- Take your emergency kit, including any prescription medicines.
Page updated: 29/11/2022 Page updated by: Flooding Team