Skip to main content

Land drainage consent

Under the Land Drainage Act 1991, you will need consent to build a culvert or structure (such as a weir) which is likely to affect flow in an ordinary watercourse. It is our responsibility to issue consent for ordinary watercourses under amendments to the Land Drainage Act 1991. Under delegated powers contained in Section 13(4) of the Flood and Water Management Act 2010 consenting of works on ordinary water courses has been delegated to the District and Borough Councils apart from Gloucester City which is held by Gloucestershire County Council. Where a watercourse lies in the Lower Severn Internal Drainage Board region, consent will be issued by them. Contact details can be found in the below table. If you are unsure who is responsible, please contact Gloucestershire County Council Flood Risk Management Team.

Proposed works or structures in, over, under or within 8 metres of a non-tidal Main River or flood defence structure, or 16 metres of a tidal Main River or sea defence, or within the floodplain of a Main River may require an environmental permit from the Environment Agency under the Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2010. To check if your flood risk activities will need an environmental permit, formerly known as a flood defence consent, and to get the forms you need please click visit www.gov.uk, call our Customer Service Line on 03708 506 506 or contact our Partnerships and Strategic Overview team for further guidance at pso.midswest@environment-agency.gov.uk.

To identify whether any proposed works will require consent please check the list for Typical works that may require consent or contact the relevant authority. If consent is required you will receive a consent application form and a unique reference number. There is a charge of £50 per application and the application will be determined within 8 weeks of being submitted.
If you have any concerns about the condition of a river or watercourse please contact us or your local district or borough council.


District enquiry is within

Authority undertaking consenting and enforcement

Contact Information

Cotswold District

Cotswold District Council

Kevin Jack
Consenting and Enforcing Engineer
West Oxfordshire District Council
New Yatt Road
OX28 1NB
Tel: 01993 861333
Email: Kevin.Jack@publicagroup.uk

Website: https://www.cotswold.gov.uk/environment/flooding/watercourses-and-ditches/

Cheltenham Borough

Cheltenham Borough Council

Geoff Beer
Principal Engineer - Civils & Flood Risk Management
Municipal Offices
GL50 9SA
Tel: 01242 774984
Email: Geoff.Beer@cheltenham.gov.uk

Forest of Dean District

Forest of Dean District Council

Kevin Jack
Consenting and Enforcing Engineer
West Oxfordshire District Council
New Yatt Road
OX28 1NB
Tel: 01993 861333
Email: Kevin.Jack@publicagroup.uk

Website: http://www.fdean.gov.uk/residents/environment/flooding/watercourses-ditches/

Tewkesbury Borough

Tewkesbury Borough Council

Jason Westmoreland
Flood Risk Management Engineer
Council Offices
Gloucester Rd
GL20 5TT
Tel: 01684 272168
Email: Jason.Westmoreland@Tewkesbury.gov.uk

Gloucester City

Gloucestershire County Council

Peter Siret
Flood Risk Management (Strategic Infrastructure)
Gloucestershire County Council
1st Floor (West), Block 5
Shire Hall
Westgate Street
Tel: 01452 427493
Email: FloodRiskManagement@gloucestershire.gov.uk

Stroud District

Stroud District Council

Tom Barratt

Water Resources Engineer
Ebley Mill
Tel: 01453 754480
Email: Tom.Barratt@stroud.gov.uk

Main River

Environment Agency

Website: www.gov.uk/guidance/flood-risk-activities-environmental-permits
Tel: 03708 506 506
Email: pso.midswest@environment-agency.gov.uk

Internal Drainage Board

Lower Severn Internal Drainage Board

James Thomas
Lower Severn Drainage Board
Waterside Buildings
Oldbury Naite
BS35 1RF
Tel: 01454 413340
Email: JThomas@lowersevernidb.org.uk


Help us improve Gloucestershire County Council

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.