A40 Over Roundabout Improvement Scheme
Unfortunately on Sunday 12 August the weather was against us and we took the difficult decision to pause the resurfacing work at Over roundabout near Gloucester. We are currently reviewing the least disruptive options for completing the new surface. At the moment there are a few lane closures on the roundabout as we make the necessary improvements. Please follow our social media channels and local news to find out work updates, and please allow extra time for your journeys through the roundabout. Updates are further down this page.
The A40 Over Roundabout is located to the northwest of Gloucester and is the primary point of entry into the city for vehicles travelling from the west.
Highways England carried out the first phase of the planned improvement works for this roundabout. That scheme was called the A40 Over Roundabout western approach widening and completed in March 2015. This consisted of widening the A40 eastbound approach to three lanes to allow a dedicated right turn lane, and also widening the roundabout carriageway on the northern side. A pedestrian crossing was moved to a better location and the lighting was improved within the vicinity of the works.
About the new scheme
The following junctions along the route have been identified for improvement.
- A417 north: widening of the southbound approach to the roundabout entry to provide three lanes at the junction stop line.
- A40 east: widening of the westbound approach to the roundabout entry to provide three lanes at the junction stop line.
- A40 Roundabout - general: The addition of a third circulatory lane within the roundabout.
Purpose of the scheme
The overarching goal is to provide a free flowing link for traffic along the currently heavily congested A40 roundabout.
The key objectives have been identified as:
- Reduce journey times, for all users as well, on the A40 between Highnam Roundabout / Longford Roundabout / Gloucester City Centre.
- Improve journey time reliability on the A40 between Highnam Roundabout / Longford Roundabout / Gloucester City Centre.
- Improve the connectivity and capacity of the strategic road network between the Forest of Dean and Gloucester / Cheltenham / Tewkesbury / the M5.
The current programme for the A40 Over Roundabout scheme is as follows:
- Business case submission - October 2016
- Business case approved by LEP - December 2016
- Meet the contractor event - 23 April 2018
- Construction start - 30 April 2018
- Construction end - September 2018
Construction work is now underway
Work started on 30 April and will last for 18 weeks, finishing in September 2018.
There will be no lane closures between 7am – 9:30am and 3:30pm – 6pm throughout the scheme.
All daytime works will be completed using lane closures with the roundabout remaining open. Delays are expected but access will still be possible.
Although some weekend working may be necessary, the majority of the work will take place on weekdays. At present there are only two weekends identified (4 - 5 and 11 - 12 of August) where work will be carried out to resurface the roundabout - see details below.
Overnight piling works have now finished
Here is a video update on the scheme from Cllr Vernon Smith, cabinet member for highways:
Road closures at Over Roundabout for resurfacing, 7am to 12 midnight on Saturday 18 August:
- A40 Westbound from Longford Roundabout to Over Roundabout
- A417 Northbound from Over Causeway to Over Roundabout
- A417 Southbound from Over Roundabout to Over Causeway
Please note only the yellow diversion route will be signed during the closure as it is suitable for all vehicles.
Construction update bulletins
Please Note: If you would like to be added to the distribution list for these bulletins please contact firstname.lastname@example.org