A40 Over Roundabout Improvement Scheme
Do you live near A40 Over Roundabout in Gloucester, or use it regularly? Come and meet the contractor Brittania Construction at the Wharf Restaurant on Monday 23rd April, 4pm - 7pm to ask any questions you may have about the #yourhighways improvement scheme.
The A40 Over Roundabout is located to the northwest of Gloucester and is the primary point of entry into the city for vehicles travelling from the west.
Highways England carried out the first phase of the planned improvement works for this roundabout. That scheme was called the A40 Over Roundabout western approach widening and completed in March 2015. This consisted of widening the A40 eastbound approach to three lanes to allow a dedicated right turn lane, and also widening the roundabout carriageway on the northern side. A pedestrian crossing was moved to a better location and the lighting was improved within the vicinity of the works.
About the new scheme
The following junctions along the route have been identified for improvement.
- A417 north: widening of the southbound approach to the roundabout entry to provide three lanes at the junction stop line.
- A40 east: widening of the westbound approach to the roundabout entry to provide three lanes at the junction stop line.
- A40 Roundabout - general: The addition of a third circulatory lane within the roundabout.
Purpose of the scheme
The overarching goal is to provide a free flowing link for traffic along the currently heavily congested A40 roundabout.
The key objectives have been identified as:
- Reduce journey times, for all users as well, on the A40 between Highnam Roundabout / Longford Roundabout / Gloucester City Centre.
- Improve journey time reliability on the A40 between Highnam Roundabout / Longford Roundabout / Gloucester City Centre.
- Improve the connectivity and capacity of the strategic road network between the Forest of Dean and Gloucester / Cheltenham / Tewkesbury / the M5.
The current programme for the A40 Over Roundabout scheme is as follows:
- Business case submission - October 2016
- Business case approved by LEP - December 2016
- Construction start - May 2018
- Construction end - September 2018
We will publish more detailed schedules here as planning progresses.