One of the county’s busiest routes has been resurfaced as part of Gloucestershire County Council’s £150 million promise to upgrade the county’s highways.
We are resurfacing more than five miles of carriageway on the A4173, between the A46 and Whaddon. We use hard-wearing surfacing material with high skid resistance, to future-proof this essential route and make it safer for all who use it.
The A4173 has been identified by the Department for Transport (DfT) as a major road that would benefit from investment towards improving safety and road conditions.
Since January extensive drainage repairs, vegetation clearance and safety improvements have already been carried out as part of a package of improvements for this road, which is a key commuter and bus route between Stroud and Gloucester.
For this next phase we will resurface 54,484 m² of the road, using 6,425 tonnes of hard-wearing asphalt. We will also make improvements to signage and road lining, as well as two existing mini-roundabouts in Brookthorpe.
Work takes place from Tuesday 10th April to Wednesday 23rd May and a road closure is in place between 7:30am to 5:30pm daily (excluding weekends and bank holiday).
For the safety of road users and our workforce, the road is closed to through-traffic between Whaddon and the A46 for the duration of the scheme. Pedestrian access is maintained and a signed diversion suitable for HGV’s is in place (please download the residents' letter for diversion details). The road will be re-opened to through-traffic each evening at 5.30pm.
LOCAL ACCESS: To keep disruption to a minimum we are carrying out the works in six sections, please download the residents' letter for details of dates and access arrangements. Local access for residents and businesses is managed at each end of the closure by gatemen and local businesses will be open as usual. We are not able to provide access into the closure area via side roads during our work hours.
The scheme dates may change depending on conditions (such as adverse weather or mechanical breakdown). Please check this web page for updates regularly and follow progress on Twitter @Glosroads or Facebook @GloucestershireRoads.
Useful hints and tips for residents
- Emergency services have been informed of the closure and will be allowed through the road closure as required.
- Refuse collections – the refuse company has been advised of this road closure and will make alternative arrangements if collections are normally after 7.30am when the road will be closed. Please contact your refuse collector for more details.
- Specific access - If you have any specific access requirements (disabled access, carer visits, meals-on-wheels, midwife etc), please call our Contact Centre on 08000 514514 with details of dates and times.
- Public transport - bus routes have been amended for the duration of the scheme, but No. 63 running normal route until 8.15am and resuming at 17.30pm. Please contact your bus provider for specific information https://www.stagecoachbus.com/about/west
- Please refer to our Hints and Tips section on the right hand column of this web page for more information.
You can also contact us via email GCCHighways@amey.co.uk, however if you require a quick response, please give us a call.