Metz Way to Abbeymead Avenue - Highway & Signal Improvements
Crews are currently working on the Metz Way junction with Eastern Avenue, and the Metz Way junction at Asda. These works are overnight (7pm - 7am) however please expect delays during the week in this area of Gloucester. More detail on closures can be found further down this page.
About the scheme
The aim of the scheme is to improve traffic flows along the Metz Way - Abbeymead Avenue route corridor.
The Abbeymead Avenue and Metz Way corridor is currently used by the Stagecoach Number 8 and 13 bus routes and significant peak period delays are currently experienced by these services due to congestion.
Abbeymead Avenue and Metz Way are local distributor roads for the large residential areas of Abbeymead, Abbeydale and Coney Hill and are on the most direct route into Gloucester city centre for many residents. In fact compared with the rest of Gloucestershire, part of Abbeymead is in the top 5% for 'commuting by car', with over 64% of residents using their private car to commute to work. This is contributing towards the current high peak hour traffic levels.
The Metz Way and Eastern Avenue Junction is a key part of Gloucester’s road network, connecting Abbeymead to the A38, one of the county’s principal roads. The scheme will include carriageway widening and applying the latest technology to the traffic signals at this junction.
The corridor improvements will help reduce peak period journey times, improve bus service reliability, potentially increase the proportion of cycle and public transport users and also encourage sustainable travel.
Work that requires temporary traffic signals will be done off-peak, limiting the impact on traffic flow at the busiest times of the day. To carry out the works safely it will also be necessary to have some night closures (specific dates will become available nearer the time). Access will be maintained for residents and businesses; there will be diversion routes in place, but if you have specific access requirements, please contact us in advance.
The overall scheme objectives are as follows:
- Improve link between Coopers Edge & Gloucester City Centre
- Improve local junctions on the route
- Provide better opportunities for shift from car use to walking, cycling and public transport
The scheme will:
- Reduce traffic queues and congestion
- Improve bus journey times
- Apply latest technology to existing traffic signals
- Improve cycling facilities
- Upgrade existing pedestrian crossings
The scheme involves work at the following locations:
|Site||Location||Description of works|
|1||Metz Way junction with ASDA||Upgrading traffic signals|
|2||Metz Way junction with Eastern Avenue||Modification to highway alignment and upgrading of traffic signals|
|3||Metz Way, adjacent to St. Lawrence Road||Upgrading pedestrian crossing to a toucan crossing|
|4||Abbeymead Avenue - Coney Hill Roundabout||Widening the existing shared use footway/cycleway from North Upton Lane to and around Coney Hill roundabout|
|5||Abbeymead Avenue junction with North Upton Lane||Improvements to highway alignment and upgrading traffic signals|
|6||Abbeymead Avenue, South of Oaks Roundabout||Upgrading pedestrian crossing to a toucan crossing|
|7||Abbeymead Avenue junction with Kimberland Way||Upgrading pedestrian crossing to a toucan crossing|
|8||Abbeymead Avenue, South of Mead Road||
Upgrading pedestrian crossing to a toucan crossing
A plan showing the location of these sites is available to download on the right hand side of this page.
The current programme:
- Detailed Design Completion - July 2016
- Business Case Submission - July 2016
- Business Case Approved by LEP - October 2016
- Construction Start - July 2018
- Construction End - December 2018
The roads below will be closed overnight 7pm-7am to minimise disruption
Metz Way Asda Junction
28 August - Overnight there will be temporary traffic lights will be in place, access will remain to all routes. Daytime off peak single lane closures will be in place too so please allow extra time here.
Metz Way Eastern Avenue Junction
All left turns will remain open from all legs on the Metz Way and Eastern Avenue junction.
28 and 29 August - the right turn from Cole Avenue to Abbeymead will be closed (see map)
Business case and scheme drawings
- Full Business Case: Metz Way to Abbeymead Avenue Improvements
- Abbeymead/Metz Way - 1. General Layout (Rev E)
- Abbeymead/Metz Way - 2. Background Info (Rev E)
- Abbeymead/Metz Way - 3. Cycling Detail (Rev B)
- Abbeymead/Metz Way - 4. Pedestrian Crossings (Rev A)
- Abbeymead/Metz Way - 5. Metz Way - Eastern Ave Detail (Rev D)
- Abbeymead/Metz Way - 6. North Upton Lane (Rev D)
- Metz Way Abbeymead Avenue Improvements: General Site Layout
- Metz Way Abbeymead Avenue Improvements: General Arrangements Junction Improvements
- Coney Hill Road to North Upton Lane Cycleway Improvements: General Arrangement (Sheet 1 of 2)
- Coney Hill Road to North Upton Lane Cycleway Improvements: General Arrangement (Sheet 2 of 2)
- Metz Way to Abbeymead Project: Risk Register
- Metz Way/Abbeymead Avenue: Noise Statement
- Metz Way/Abbeymead Avenue: Air Quality Assessment
- Metz Way/Abbeymead Avenue: Landscape Assessment
- Metz Way/Abbeymead Avenue: Arboricultural Report
- Metz Way/Abbeymead Avenue: Arboricultural Method Statement
- Metz Way/Abbeymead Avenue: Ecological Impact Report
- Land to the West and South of Gloucester Business Park, Brockworth: Revised land use master plan
- Metz Way/Abbeymead Avenue: Project plan (Gantt)
- Metz Way/Abbeymead Avenue: Construction program (Gantt)