The pupil premium is additional funding for publicly funded schools in England to raise the achievement of disadvantaged pupils and close the gap between them and their peers.
Pupil premium funding is available to:
- local authority maintained schools, including special schools and pupil referral units (PRUs)
- voluntary-sector alternative provision, with local authority agreement
- special schools not maintained by the local authority (NMSS)
- academies and free schools, including special and AP academies
In 2020-21, schools will receive the following funding for each child registered as eligible for free school meals at any point in the last 6 years:
- £1,345 for pupils in reception year to year 6
- £955 for pupils in year 7 to year 11
A list showing schools how many of their pupils have been eligible for free school meals at any point in the last 6 years can be viewed on the Key to Success websiteOpens new window. You can use this list to estimate how much pupil premium funding you'll get.
Schools will receive £2,345 for any pupil
- identified in the January 2020 school census or the alternative provision census as having left local authority care as a result of:
- a special guardianship order
- a child arrangements order (previously known as a residence order)
- who has been in local authority care for 1 day or more
- recorded as both eligible for FSM in the last 6 years and as being looked after (or as having left local authority care)
For pupils who attract the £2,345 rate, the virtual school head of the local authority that looks after the pupil will manage the funding. Further information can be found in the 'Pupil Premium Plus' section - link opposite.
Local-authority-maintained schools (including special schools and PRUs) and NMSS
Pupil premium funding is paid to local authorities in quarterly instalments, and they pass the funding on to schools.
In the 2018 to 2019 financial year, pupil premium funding will be paid to local authorities on:
- 29 June 2018
- 28 September 2018
- 28 December 2018
- 29 March 2019
Academies and free schools (including special academies and AP academies)
The DfE pays academies and free schools pupil premium funding in quarterly instalments:
- 9 July 2018
- 8 October 2018
- 9 January 2019
- 8 April 2019