Improvements to the Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan pathway
This autumn, in line with Government’s Green paper for SEND ‘Right support, right place, right time’ Gloucestershire County Council will be making some key improvements to the EHC pathway which will make it a better experience for all. We are piloting two new digital EHCP portals and a new digital EHCP Audit Tool.
We have developed two new secure digital ‘one stop shops’ to make it easier for all relevant documentation to be accessed. There will be a ‘Professionals Portal’ and a ‘Family’s Portal’. Permissions will be granted to allow families, schools and other professionals to view and add documents throughout the process, so at any one time you will be able to track where a case is at and what the next stage is.
We are testing the system in a pilot with 12 primary schools that starts this summer term and lasts until October. Eventually all new requests can then be made on the Family’s Portal and we plan for this wider rollout from November later this year. To improve the quality of our EHC plans during the pilot we are also introducing a new Audit Tool which has been successfully implemented elsewhere in the UK.
These are just some of the other changes we are making as part of our EHC service redesign which will:
- Put children and young people at the heart of our planning
- Ensure parents and carers are well supported with the opportunity to have their voice heard
- Allow us to work more collaboratively with schools to make sure we are meeting a child’s needs in the most appropriate way.
- Deliver an EHCP process which is easy to administer and access for everyone concerned.
- Ensure we are meeting the requirements of the government’s ‘SEND review: Right support, right place, first time’ which recommends digitisation to improve efficiency and provide a better experience for families.
New parent / carer survey coming this summer
To help us find out what is working well and what could be improved, we are launching a new parent / carer survey soon, please look out for it and make sure you take the opportunity to have your say as we really want to hear your views. We will repeat the survey annually and feedback from you will be used to inform ongoing improvement.
We are producing a version of the pathway for children and young people
This will make sure their voice is heard and that they better understand the process. It will include a ‘Children and Young People’s pledge’ which is a list of everything children and young people have told us is important to them, and which they want everyone involved in the EHCP to commit to.