School attendance: Penalty Notice Code of Conduct
As previously communicated in November, the Local Authority is making some revisions to the Penalty Notice Code of Conduct.
The aim of the revisions is to make the process clearer and more efficient to operate. The changes were discussed at the attendance network meetings in November and the period for comment has now expired. The revised Code of Conduct comes in to force wef 1st January 2019 and will be uploaded to the attendance pages of Schoolsnet over the Christmas break.
The purpose of the Code of Conduct is to set out the procedure for issuing penalty notices in respect of the following two offences:
- Education Act 1996, section 444(1): failure by a parent to secure regular attendance at school of a registered pupil
- Education and Inspections Act 2006, section 103: duty of a parent of an excluded pupil to ensure the pupil is not present in a public place at any time during school hours on a school day.
Penalty Notices are commonly requested by number of schools in Gloucestershire and, in making the revisions, the Local Authority has been supported by a small working party with primary, secondary and special representation from across the county. A key feature of the revised penalty notice will be the addition of sample letters and forms set out in the appendices. The use of these will better enable the Local Authority to support schools in relation to any prosecution that may arise in the event on non-payment of the penalty, without the need for further information needing to be sought from the school.
Attendance Officers who were unable to come to one of the attendance network meetings in November can obtain an overview of the key changes by contacting the Inclusion Officer linked to their school.
Stroud and Cotswolds
- Susan Janneh (email@example.com) 01452 328008
- Sharon Holroyd (firstname.lastname@example.org) 01452 328761
Cheltenham and Tewkesbury
- Salma Kaka (email@example.com ) 01452 32 8764
- Karen Thompson (firstname.lastname@example.org) 01452 328499
Gloucester and Forest
- Brian Gazzard (email@example.com ) 01452 328446
- Sam Blackwell (firstname.lastname@example.org ) 01452 427383