The Holocaust Educational Trust
The Holocaust Educational Trust offers free training and support for RE teachers about the Holocaust.
Details of the teacher training programme can be found at https://www.het.org.uk/education/teacher-training.
The Holocaust and the RE curriculum
Teaching about aspects of the Holocaust in RE lessons can help students explore:
- The connections between beliefs – both religious and secular – and actions.
- Moral dilemmas and choices, and the factors which can influence them.
- Responses to ‘fundamental’ questions such as the nature and causes of suffering and ‘evil’, and – ultimately – what it means to be human.
- The interaction, and sometimes conflict, between different faiths and/or belief systems.
- Individual and collective identity.
It can also support students in practising essential skills:
- Understanding and scrutiny of the beliefs of others.
- Critical investigation of contrasting viewpoints, with an ability to reach reasoned judgements, and a willingness to challenge preconceptions.
- Interpretation of a range of sources to be able to reach and justify independent opinions.
- Effective communication of emotions and opinions.
- Reflection on the nature and meaning of morality and on the importance of moral choices.
The Holocaust Educational Trust offers free training for teachers at all stages of their careers. Details of our teacher training programme can be found at:https://www.het.org.uk/education/teacher-training.
RE teachers are invited to register for any of our upcoming online seminars and virtual teacher study visits, or to register their interest in our 2021-22 residential courses. These include our Exploring the Holocaust: UK Residential Course, our Teacher Study Visit to Vienna, and our Annual Teacher Training Course at Yad Vashem.
We provide free and downloadable teaching resources, which can be found at https://www.het.org.uk/teaching-resources and include resources for primary, secondary and post-16 students.
Details of our outreach programme, through which teachers can arrange for a Holocaust survivor to share their testimony with their students, can be found at https://www.het.org.uk/education/outreach-programme. Further information about our educational programmes for teachers can be found on the attached flyer.
Teacher Training Team
Holocaust Educational Trust
BCM Box 7892 | London WC1N 3XX
44 (0)20 7222 6822