Section 251 statement
Section 251 statements show how the Local Authority allocates funds to meet expenditure on primary, secondary and special education.
Under Section 251 of the Schools Standards and Framework Act 1998 LAs are required to publish and submit to the Department for Education (DfE) their "budget" and "outturn" statements. The size of the Schools Budget, and the amounts to be allocated to each factor depend on budget decisions taken by the LA before the beginning of each financial year, so budget statements are the means of informing schools and the public in general about the funding plans of the LA.
Section 251 Budget Statements
The budget statement is intended to provide a clear picture of the authority's planned spending on:
- How much of the whole education budget the LA intends to spend on items outside the Schools Budget;
- How much the LA is proposing to retain centrally within the Schools Budget for school services;
- How the formula is working to produce budget shares for each school in the LA's area.
The Section 251 Statement has been prepared to a common format to enable schools and others to compare funding and methodology between different LAs.
Section 251 Budget Statement 2019/20:
Section 251 Outturn Statements
The outturn statement at the end of the year is intended to:
- Provide schools, parents and others interested in education, with details about schools and LA funding and expenditure;
- Provide data for Annual Report of the DfE;
- Inform policy making;
- Inform the treasury for monitoring purposes;
- Inform Parliament in its role of monitoring the Department's accountability for public funds.
The Section 251 Budget and Outturn Statements are available on the Education & Skills Funding Agency website