Team for Visual Impairment
This team works with children with a significant level of visual impairment.
This team works with children and young people who:
- can only read as far as the fourth line on a traditional eye chart
- with glasses (if worn) - have distance vision of 6/18 or worse
- have reduced or defective fields of vision
- have deteriorating vision
- have a diagnosed visual condition
The Team consists of:
- Qualified Teachers of the Visually Impaired
- Qualified Mobility and Independence Officer
- Assistive technology tutor
- Resource Technician
We have high aspirations for the achievements of children and young people (CYP) with a visual impairment. We want students to thrive, fulfil their potential, and have fun whilst they learn.
We support children and young people with a diagnosed visual impairment at all stages of the Gloucestershire Graduated Pathway for SEND. Working with CYP, their families and other professionals, we help schools and settings to build their capacity to meet an individual's needs and ensure positive outcomes for them.
By actively listening and responding to an individual's voice we work as part of the "team around the child " contributing to overcoming the barriers that prevent a student with a visual impairment taking part in learning and assessment activities with their peers - as well as the wider opportunities in school.
We want CYP with a visual impairment to have a positive learning experience, to make progress and achieve their goals and aspirations whilst developing confidence and independence.
We offer training and advice, information and guidance to enable the student to engage in the full range of educational activities.
The team promotes the development of good practice through training and networking.
How to access the team
Most children who need specialist support are referred by medical personnel. However, anyone who is involved with a child and are concerned about their vision can make a written referral to the Advisory Teaching Service.
Before you submit your referral form don't forget.....
- Parent/carer's signature
- Please ensure a contact telephone number is recorded for the parent/carer
- To complete all relevant sections of the form
- Reference to Gloucestershire Guidance Booklet for Professionals working with Children and Young People (0 - 25) and relevant Myplan /Myplan+/EHCP documentation Gloucestershire Guidance Booklet for Education and SEND Professionals
- To attach relevant reports from professionals
Please note incomplete paperwork will result in a delay in our response to your referral.
All staff working for Gloucestershire Advisory Teaching Service who have contact with children have the appropriate Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS formerly CRB) Check.
The team offer a range of specialised training for all staff and professionals working with Children and Young People with a visual impairment.
If you need any help with booking a course please call 01594 823102.
Please speak to your advisory teacher if you would like to discuss your bespoke training needs.