What is Telecare?
Telecare equipment supports people to live safely and independently in their own home. Using special sensors Telecare can detect potential emergencies at home, like:
- Purposeful walking (wandering)
- Medication mismanagement
- Carbon monoxide
The equipment is linked to a 24 hour monitoring centre, where a trained operator will manage an appropriate response as required.
Types of Telecare sensors include fall detectors, bed and chair sensors, movement sensors, door contacts and smoke & heat detectors.
The equipment can also be used within the home to alert an onsite carer or family member via a pager system to a fall or when the door has been opened.
Telecare can be used to promote independence and also offer a range of prompting devices which can be used to remind people to complete daily tasks, such as take medication, or remember to eat and drink.
Through using Telecare you will:
- Feel safer and more confident at home
- Ensure help is called quickly in the event of an emergency in the home or in the community
- Maintain independence with daily tasks like washing, bathing, cooking, cleaning, and gardening
- Give reassurance and peace of mind to your family or carer
- Reduce the likelihood of hospital admission
- Reduce the need for domiciliary care and delay going into a care home
Telecare is assessed for on an individual basis and is designed to support adults who may require support to remain safe and independent, for example:
- People with memory concerns / Dementia
- Adults with a degenerative condition, such as Parkinson's Disease, or MS
- Physically disabled
- Adults with a learning disability
- People with mental health conditions
- Vulnerable adults living on their own
What is included in the service?
All linked equipment is wireless and will automatically generate low battery alerts, notifying the Telecare team that a replacement battery/sensor is needed. Telecare will make contact to arrange an engineer visit to replace the battery when applicable.
Reviews & Reassessments
Telecare will review and reassess the service when required to ensure that the equipment continues to meet the person's needs. Telecare can add to / remove pieces of equipment if necessary to ensure the service is as personal as possible.
Support & Advice
Our friendly duty team are at hand to offer support and advice when needed. Alternatively, we can arrange for one of our engineers to visit if any technical support is required.
Is there a cost?
No. All Telecare equipment is assessed for and provided on a loan basis, free of charge for as long as the person needs it, as long as the person meets the eligibility criteria.
If you would like to speak to someone in more detail about Telecare, or to make a referral please contact the Adult Helpdesk on 01452 426868.
Alternatively, visit our self-help site and complete an online assessment to find possible equipment that works for you and your home.