gloucestershire.gov.uk uses cookies to make the site simpler.
Find out more about cookies

Skip to main content


Explosives Licensing including Fireworks


Why is a licence required?

If you manufacture or store explosives including consumer fireworks then you must be licensed by the local authority or Health and Safety Executive.

In the case of storage of lower hazard explosives such as fireworks in quantities of less than two tonnes net, the licensing authority is Gloucestershire County Council and the licensing requirements are inspected and enforced by the Trading Standards Service.

How to apply

If the type of explosive that you store requires an explosive certificate then the licence to store it will be issued by the Health and Safety Executive rather than the Local Authority.

If you are storing less than 2000 kg of hazard type 4 explosives (net explosive content) or equivalent then you will need to apply to the Local Authority for a storage licence. Download and complete this application form and send it, with your fee and a plan of your premises, to:

Matt Bakewell

Gloucestershire Trading Standards Service

The Tri-Service Centre

Waterwells Drive





Further guidance on the application of the new regulations will be published here in due course.

If you are intending to store only very small quantities of explosives or store for only a short period of time or at the place where they will be used then you may be exempt from the requirement to licence. Please contact us and ask for Nigel Willis for further details.


Licences to store may be granted for up to five years.


See our current scale of fees

Can I assume my licence is granted if I don't hear from Gloucestershire County Council within a reasonable time?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within 5 working days of submitting your application please contact us.


More Information

You will need to apply for a separate (additional) fireworks licence if you intend to supply or expose for supply fireworks other than during the following periods:

•on the first day of the Chinese New Year and the three days immediately preceding it

•on the day of Diwali and the three days immediately preceding it

•during the period beginning on the 15th October and ending on the 10th November; or

•during the period beginning on the 26th December and ending on the 31st December


Help us improve Gloucestershire Trading Standards

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.