gloucestershire.gov.uk uses cookies to make the site simpler.
Find out more about cookies

Skip to main content

Independent travel training

SEN Travel Enablement

Independent travel training (ITT) can help you to learn how to travel independently to your current or future school/college.


"This is a great service which I believe is essential for young people with learning difficulties"
Carer of trainee, 2017

"I feel much more confident about travelling alone now and can get to my destination without panicking"
Trainee, 2017

"This is brilliant for children's confidence and independence"
Parent of trainee, 2017

"I can get on a bus now and speak to the bus driver and travel and get off at the end safely"
Trainee, 2017

About you

This service is available to you if:

  • You have a Statement of SEN or an Education, Health & Care Plan
  • You are/will be in full-time education (540 guided learning hours)
  • You are/will be attending the nearest school or college that can meet your educational needs
  • You live over 3 miles away from your nearest school or college

If you do not meet this criteria, please get in touch to see if we can still help.

How does it work?

If you complete and return a referral form, we will contact you to discuss
your options.

Travel training will usually start with a home or school visit followed by an
initial assessment to ensure training is suitable for the young person at
the time.

Training will be 1:1 on a withdrawing basis as the young person learns to
be independent and travel safely.

Sessions will be bespoke to meet your individual needs.

There is no pass or fail, it is a travel experience with an outcome we
discuss and agree with you.

How will travel training be delivered?

Your training will include:

  • • Using a bus pass or money and understanding information
    displays/ timetables
  • • Journey planning
  • • Practical training in the community: on foot, crossing roads, using
    public transport with the right support from the travel trainer
  • • ‘What if’ scenarios, coping strategies, how to resolve problems, using
    a mobile phone safely and more.

Who can make referrals?

Either parents or the following people can refer for travel training: schools,
social workers and other practitioners or lead professionals working with
children and young people with learning difficulties or disabilities.

More information:

Independent Travel Training

01452 328751

Help us improve Gloucestershire County Council

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.