Creating a blog
To create the blog holder:
- Hit ⋯ on the article below which you want to hang the blog
(often, but not always, the site home page)
- Choose the “Articulate” type
- Give your blog at least a name & title
- If you want allow discussions set the “Disqus Shortname” to “GlosCC” or configure your own Diqus account - see: https://disqus.com/
- Blog - customise if you want but the defaults on this tab are fine
- Style is a bit hit & miss – there are several Themes available but some are flaky.
(See the Themes pages for the pros, cons & pitfalls of each theme.)
Mini and Vapor are the least problematical but all have some issues:
- The Banner does not work on some.
- Some do not show the Logo.
- Set the Logo up with care – it gets clipped into a circle on some themes so wide logos like the full Gloucestershire County Council logo don’t work.
(The county stamp logo is better.)
- Experiment to see what appears & what doesn’t & whether you like the layouts.
- MetaWeblog options don’t apply – the software needed is out of service.
- Page Info is also pointless as it changes nothing.
- Related data does not appear.
- Notices do not appear on blogs.
- Search Metadata I haven’t been able to confirm whether this tab has any effect yet.
- Navigation - Hide from navigation does not work.
(There is an open bug report about visibility of unpublished & hidden pages which is yet to be deployed which might affect this.)
The basic blog container has two components, which are created for you:
- One “Authors” group – you can then set the author for a blog and have their profile show in the blog footer.
You can have more than one Author group if you prefer to organise your authors
- One “Archive” which will contain all the blog posts.
These are not visible as normal child articles but show in a table of contents
It is possible to add more than one Archive but only blog entries in the first container appear on the menus.