MOD civilan housing advice for service personnel and families

The Joint Service Housing Advice Office (JSHAO) is the MOD’s tri-service focal point to provide service personnel and their dependents with civilian housing information for those wishing to move to civilian accommodation at any time in their career, and for those during resettlement to assist with the transition to civilian life.

  1. Service Accommodation
  2. Service transit and temporary housing
  3. Single service leavers
  4. Further advice and information

Homeless – Steps on how to get help from the council

  1. How the council can help
  2. How to ask the council for help
  3. Homeless assessments
  4. Personal housing plans
  5. Who qualifies for housing
  6. Challenge a council decision

If you're at risk of homelessness or rough sleeping, you can get help finding accommodation from:

You may speak to your local council regarding your situation.  Please see the links below to your nearest Council:-

The following specialist housing associations provide longer-term housing for veterans: 

  • Stoll (supported housing for vulnerable veterans) Provides safe, high quality housing and access to services that enable vulnerable and disabled Veterans in need of support to live fulfilling, independent lives.  Contact them at: Stoll Foundation, 446 Fulham Road, London, SW6 1DT  Phone: 020 7385 2110 Email: info@stoll.org.uk
  • Haig Housing (general needs housing for ex-service single people and families) Provide assistance for ex-Service people and/or their dependents by letting general needs homes at affordable rents to the ex-Service community and offer tailored housing solutions to suit the specific and individual needs of severely wounded and disabled Service and ex-Service People.  Tel: 0208 685 5777 Email: enquiries@haighousing.or.uk

Homeseeker Plus

The Homeseeker Plus Partnership is a group of councils and housing providers who work together to provide homes across Gloucestershire & West Oxfordshire.

If you’re: homeless, at risk of homelessness, worried about paying your rent or mortgage, need advice about your existing housing, wanting to find out about housing benefit and looking for help with your situation you can contact Forcesline for confidential and independent support on 0800 7314880.

You can also get specific advice for ex-services personnel from:

SSAFA, the Armed Forces charity

You can get support tailored to you as an armed forces service leaver from SSAFA. Phone: 0800 731 4880

The Royal British Legion

There to support and offer practical assistance to every ex-Serviceman or woman and their dependants, who is homeless or living in temporary accommodation. Phone: 0808 8028080 to contact your local area office.


Shelter is able to find you somewhere to live if you’ve left or are about to leave the military and have nowhere to stay.  Phone 0808 800 444

Detailed independent information about privately renting your home, including understanding your tenancy agreements, your rights and responsibilities, costs of renting and dealing with problems is available from Shelter.  Visit: england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/private_renting

Gloucestershire Home for Veterans

Gloucestershire Home for Veterans offers housing and support to ex-Service personnel who are homeless or are at risk of becoming homeless.  All residents must have served in the British Armed Forces. Gloucestershire Home for Veterans provides two homes supporting up to 12 Veterans. When you arrive you will be introduced to your key worker, who will work with you to agree a support plan based on your individual needs. Our team can help you to access other appropriate agencies, including counselling services, drug & alcohol agencies and support groups, CAB and NHS services wherever necessary. Tel: 01452 507123   or email: veterans@alabare.co.uk


Spaces helps to secure appropriate accommodation for individuals when leaving the Armed Forces to reduce the risk of homelessness or rough sleeping, no matter where the individual is located across the UK.  SPACES has exclusive referral rights to The Beacon and Mike Jackson House.  Both schemes offer supported housing for up to 18 months with dedicated support staff, facilities and activities to support transition to Civvy Street.  Tel 0178 8339797 or 01748 830191.

Veterans Aid supports veterans in crisis, in particular with homelessness.  Tel 0800 0126867

Veterans’ Gateway - Access to Housing Advice

The Veterans’ Housing Advice service, initially provided by the Cobseo group of charities,and delivered by The Royal British Legion, Connect Assist and Shelter, has now been merged into Veterans’ Gateway. The service is accessible 24/7 and supported by a resident housing specialist located at the Contact Centre.  The team aim to support veterans in finding, securing or maintaining accommodation by utilising the skills and resources of the Cobseo Housing Cluster, local authority contacts and other housing providers. Information can be accessed by telephone, email, live chat, social media, and on the website by visiting Veterans’ Gateway/Self Help/Housing.  For more information, contact: Phone 0808 802 1212 (Freephone 24/7)

Social Housing

Most social housing is now available through the same route as council housing so you will need to contact your local District/Borough Council. You can apply to some housing associations directly. Some associations will be open to anyone, and some will help specific groups such as people recovering from addiction, prison leavers and vulnerable older people.

Find the full list of social housing organisations for Gloucestershire here.     

Service specific housing associations

The following are links to some Housing Associations who specifically help service personnel:-


Help with housing costs

If you're on a low income and need help to pay rent you can apply for universal credit.   If you try and find private rented housing, you may get help with the up-front costs from a rent deposit scheme.


Bovis Homes Schemes for the Armed Forces

Helping members of the Armed Forces to own a home with assistance from Bovis Homes, the Government and the Ministry of Defence


Citizens Advice Bureau has general information about being a social housing tenant on their national website.   You can also contact your local CAB to get help with any specific issues you are having. Use the local CAB finder on the website homepage.  Visit: www.citizensadvice.org.uk


Private renting

Private renting may be directly from the landlord or through a letting agent. Bear in mind that letting agencies will charge fees for processing your paperwork and you will usually need to pay a deposit, often a month’s rent, and the first month’s rent before moving in.

Find a home

When finding a home to rent you can check for local properties online at:

You can also check local newspapers and speak to friends and family. It is often a good idea to speak to local letting agents and let them know what you are looking for so they can let you know when a suitable property becomes available.  Your district/borough council might also be able to offer advice on finding a home

Your local district council may be able to help you with a deposit or rent in advance

District/Borough Councils in Gloucestershire:-

Buying a home

Buying a home is a complicated process. There is lots of information to help you, but make sure you are using reliable, independent sources.

Money Saving Expert

Information for all buyers, with a free first time buyer’s guide, a cheap mortgage finder and a stamp duty calculator. 

Find a home

When finding a home to buy you can check for local properties online at:

Help to buy scheme

The Government’s new Help to Buy scheme now makes it possible to buy a new or existing home with just a 5% deposit. 

Shared ownership schemes

Shared ownership schemes are provided through housing associations. You buy a share of your home (25% to 75% of the home’s value) and pay rent on the remaining share.

For a list of housing associations and locations around Gloucestershire click here

Information and Support

Help us improve Gloucestershire County Council

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.