Skip to content

Gloucestershire Homes for Ukraine sponsor guide

Ukraine flag.

Thank you for offering your home to someone in need. The generosity of people across the county in providing safety and refuge to those fleeing Russia’s war in Ukraine reflects the very best of our county.

We are working with the district councils; the NHS Clinical Commissioning Group; Gloucestershire Action for Refugees and Asylum Seekers (GARAS) and other partners to support sponsors and guests through the Gloucestershire Housing Partnership.

This guidance is being issued by the Gloucestershire Housing Partnership for those who have registered as sponsors in the Homes for Ukraine Scheme in Gloucestershire.

We are still receiving updates and information from central government regarding the scheme; requirements for sponsors; and how local authorities are expected to help. 

As more information becomes available, we will continue to update this guide. It should be read alongside the national guidance for sponsors.

Please read this Advice for Host Families pack produced by Barnardos and their partners. It contains more information about Ukraine culture differences and how to support someone suffering from traumatic experiences.

The central government guidance for sponsors provides information on some of the things your property must have to be considered suitable for the scheme. We will check that your accommodation meets that list. This list is being updated with more detail all the time so please refer to the national guidance.

We are also required to check that the gas and electrics in your home are safe. To do this we will:

  • Ask to see a Gas Safety Certificate and/or your boiler service record to show that your boiler has been serviced by a professional within the last 12 months. If you do not have a Gas Safety Certificate or boiler service record, we are exploring whether we can help to cover the cost of a gas safety check.
  • Carry out a visual inspection of the electrics in your home. If faults are identified, we may ask to see an electrical safety certificate or works certification to confirm your electrics are safe.
Page updated: 08/04/2022 Page updated by: GCC communications

Help us improve Gloucestershire County Council

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.