Welcome to Gloucestershire - useful information
- In an emergency
- Introduction and welcome
- When you first arrive - suggested checklist
- What to expect when you first arrive
- Welcome visits
- Registering with a doctor (GP) and Mental Health assistance
- Extra support if you or your children are vulnerable
- Extra help from the county council - bus passes
- Immigration and Biometric Residence Permits
- Finances, employment and benefits
- Opening a bank account, benefits and minimum wage
- Education and childcare - Finding a place at school
- Learning English, post 16 and post 19 Education and Training
- My sponsor wants us to leave, or I want help finding somewhere else to live
- Help with housing and renting
- Driving licenses, bringing your car and moving to the UK
- Help with other issues
- Why do we collect information about you?
You can use your Ukrainian driving licence for the first 12 months after you arrive. You’ll then need to exchange it for a British licence.
You will not need to register or tax your vehicle in the UK if all of the following apply:
- you have arrived in the UK and are coming from Ukraine
- the vehicle is registered and taxed in its home country
- you only use the vehicle in the UK for no more than 6 months
When entering the UK, you can drive past a customs control point (usually a green channel marked ‘nothing to declare’) without speaking to a customs officer.
If you become a resident or stay for longer than six months, you must register and tax your vehicle in the UK. It is possible to use foreign number plates in the UK for at least six months.
Useful information can be found on the government website: