Skip to content

Welcome to Gloucestershire - useful information

Ukraine flag.

Download the Gloucestershire Ukraine Guest Welcome Pack or read through the information tabs below.

We have translated the pack into Ukrainian and Russian.

What happens at the end of the six-month sponsorship period?

Sponsors are committed to hosting guests for a minimum of six months. Many sponsors in Gloucestershire are choosing to continue beyond the initial six months, providing support and security while Ukrainian guests settle in the county. If you don’t want to continue the arrangement beyond six months (or at any time after that), you should speak to your sponsor to let them know in plenty of time. If your sponsor cannot continue the arrangement after six months, they should let you know so you can make other arrangements.

Sponsors should aim to give notice two months before the end of the six months (or with two months’ notice before any later date).

Guests will have access to public funds and, after leaving your home, will be able to rent a property like anyone else. If you need to, you will be able to claim the housing part of Universal Credit or Housing Benefit. The UK Government has useful information on renting property which is available in the How to Rent Guide -

We have produced a summary guide of the housing options available.

Gloucestershire's HfU Housing Guide (pdf)


Can I get help with my income and paying my rent?

Anyone fleeing Ukraine and provided a visa is entitled to apply for benefits such as Universal Credit, Pension Credit and Housing Benefit from the date they arrive. Your local Job Centre Plus will be able to help you find out which benefits you may be able to access or call 0800 328 5644 for help with Universal Credit.

In response to feedback from sponsors about the impact the increased cost-of-living is having on their ability to sponsor Ukrainian guests, the council will be offering all sponsors £375 per household (split into three payments of £125, per month, for the months of November and December 2022 and January 2023) to help towards their energy costs. This will be paid to every sponsor in the county, regardless of how long they have been hosting their guests.  Any guest who has moved out into the private rented sector will also be eligible to receive this payment (conditions apply).

Can I get housing and / or homelessness assistance?

People granted leave under the Ukraine Family Scheme or the Homes for Ukraine sponsorship scheme are eligible for social housing and homelessness assistance.

For more information or to make a homelessness application you need to approach your local council (contact details below). To check who to contact you can use this online tool - which will also provide a link to their website.

Can I get help to access advice / different services?

Gloucestershire Action for Refugees and Asylum Seekers (GARAS) are a local organisation that opens the door to support those seeking asylum in Gloucestershire, welcoming them when they arrive, advocating for them in their daily struggles, supporting them if they face being sent back and helping them adjust to their long term future. They can help provide information, advocacy and advice on asylum, immigration, housing, health, benefits, law, education, careers etc.

Gloucestershire Action for Refugees and Asylum Seekers (GARAS)

📍 The Trust Centre, Falkner St, Gloucester, GL1 4SQ
📞 01452 550528

Housing Advice Teams

Page updated: 12/05/2023 Page updated by: Communications Team

Help us improve Gloucestershire County Council

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.