Welcome to Gloucestershire - useful information
- In an emergency
- Introduction and welcome
- When you first arrive - suggested checklist
- What to expect when you first arrive
- Welcome visits
- Registering with a doctor (GP) and Mental Health assistance
- Extra support if you or your children are vulnerable
- Extra help from the county council - bus passes
- Immigration and Biometric Residence Permits
- Finances, employment and benefits
- Opening a bank account, benefits and minimum wage
- Education and childcare - Finding a place at school
- Learning English, post 16 and post 19 Education and Training
- My sponsor wants us to leave, or I want help finding somewhere else to live
- Help with housing and renting
- Driving licenses, bringing your car and moving to the UK
- Help with other issues
Please follow this link to complete the Biometric Residence Permit https://apply.visas-immigration.service.gov.uk/product/ukraine-scheme-brp
You need to apply to give your biometrics within 6 months of arriving in the UK if you received a stamp in your passport when you entered the UK.
You will then be able to stay in the UK for up to 3 years.
You do not need to do this as soon as you reach the UK, but you do need to make sure that you have applied to give your biometrics before the 6 months ends. You will be told how to do this in your decision letter. - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/apply-for-a-visa-under-the-ukraine-sponsorship-scheme#extending-your-stay-in-the-uk
If you need advice or help with issues relating to your immigration status there are a number of organisations you can contact, including GARAS for local advice. You can contact GARAS on 01452 550528. They also run drop-in sessions at their centre in Gloucester (The Trust Centre, Falkner St, Gloucester, GL1 4SQ).
Several national charities can also help including:
Migrant Help UK
- Tel: 0808 801 0503
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: migranthelpuk.org
British Red Cross
- Tel: 0808 196 3651
- Email: email@example.com
- Tel: 020 7346 6700
- Website: refugeecouncil.org.uk
- Tel: 0800 808 3733
- Website: salvationarmy.org.uk
If you have not already been issued with a Biometric Residence Permit, you must apply for one within the first six months. Details of how to do this are included in national government’s welcome pack.
Your sponsor may let you use their devices but that is entirely at their discretion.
If you have your own mobile device, you can purchase a cheap SIM card from most supermarkets. These range in price, with the cheapest being about £10 a month pay as you go for unlimited data.