Arle Court Bus Priority
This package of bus priority measures forms part of the Elmbridge Transport Scheme. The site is located on the A40 westbound in Cheltenham from the junction with Whittington Road to the Arle Court Roundabout itself.
The Elmbridge Transport Scheme bid to the DfT included these bus priority measures on the approach to Arle Court Roundabout in Cheltenham and the scheme was consulted on in 2013 as part of the Elmbridge Transport Scheme consultation. A further consultation was carried out in 2015.
The dedicated lane will improve journey time predictability for the 2 million plus passengers each year who use the 94 bus route as well as users of the 511 park and ride, and other services that use this busy stretch of the A40 westbound.
Significant development is proposed in West Cheltenham with the potential to create between 7,500 to 10,000 jobs. The westbound A40 is the key transport link between Cheltenham and Gloucester and it currently suffers from significant congestion, particularly during the peak periods. This scheme will encourage modal shift from the private car to public transport and will be critical in mitigating the impact of future development on our roads.
The scheme begins at the Whittington Road junction, heading westbound on the A40 for a length of approximately 350m up to the Arle Court roundabout. For the avoidance of any doubt, the scheme does not use any of the highway previously associated with the A40 Benhall Bus Lane scheme: the council decided not to continue its bid for funding to build this in November 2016.
The work involves:-
- Tree removal and cutting back of vegetation and overhanging branches on the A40 westbound verge and footway. Following the re-modelling of the verge it will be replanted with semi-mature replacements.
- Widening of the A40 westbound carriageway west of Whittington Road
- Remodeling of traffic and splitter islands at Whittington Road
- Upgrading of the traffic signals at Whittington Road junction and the provision of Toucan crossings
- Re-positioning and upgrading of street lighting
- Installation of CCTV equipment at the Whittington Road junction
- Re-grading of embankments and remodeling of cycleways.
- Re- surfacing of the carriageway
- Upgrading of the existing surface water drainage in the A40 eastbound verge
Work to remove trees and vegetation will take place in February 2018, outside of the bird nesting season. Main works are planned to start on site in April 2018 and will last for around 16 weeks, at a total investment cost of £1.6m.
To enable the council's contractor to complete construction within this timeframe and to minimise the need for lane closures on the A40, we will be closing the Whittington Road junction and utilising this space as a safe and secure site area for lorry and machinery movements.
The illustration linked on the right of this webpage shows the general arrangement for the bus priority measures on the approach to Arle Court Roundabout in Cheltenham.
Public share information event
Alun Griffiths has been appointed as the main contractor to carry out the work. They held a ‘meet the contractor' information event on Wednesday May 2 at St Marks Church of England Junior School. Please see the invitation letter for further details.
If you have any questions about this scheme you may find the answer in our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) document, otherwise please contact us by