Your Highways - Report It

Highway records and extent information

COVID-19 update

Status of the Shire Hall public map room: OPEN

When the status is showing as 'open', the map room is available for use during normal office hours on the below basis. If we have to close the map room, the above will state 'currently closed' and will not be available. You should therefore check the current status on the day of your visit to avoid any wasted journey.

In order to open safely, we request all of the following:

  • Do not attend the map room if you are displaying any covid-, cold-, or flu-like symptoms
  • Please advise us ASAP at if you test positive for COVID-19 within 48hrs of visiting the map room
  • Wear a mask if possible in reception and the map room
  • Use hand sanitiser (provided outside the map room) before entering and ensure your hands are fully dry before handling any of the records
  • Respect social distancing by waiting outside if there are already two people in the map room

We respectfully request that you do not exceed the 2-person occupancy of the Map Room. Please attend on your own if at all possible, and if you have a lot of records to view, we request you take breaks from the Map Room to allow others to also use it.

If we are notified of a case of Covid19, we may need to close the Map Room at short notice. If we are advised of the abuse of the 2-person occupancy, we may also need to close the Room. Any such closure will be shown on this page.

Thank you.


The county highway maps

Information regarding the publicly maintainable highway network is not available online. However, the highway records maps are available for public inspection; they are kept in a room accessed from main reception at Shire Hall, Westgate Street, Gloucester (GL1 2TG for sat nav).  The map room is open during main reception opening hours (8.30am - 5pm, Monday - Friday).

If required, a guidance leaflet on how to use the resources is available in the map room (map room user guide).  If, on arrival, you have any queries about the road records or 'Con29 enquiries of a Local Authority' searches, please email us at, or complete the relevant enquiry form and hand it to reception staff (with any appropriate payment as advised on the form), who will then forward the enquiry to Highway Records. Alternatively, if you wish to make an appointment to see either the Road Records (or Public Rights of Way) staff, please ring us beforehand on 01452 328977 or 328980.

The highway maps are the basis for the maintenance of the highway network, which is carried out by the county council, as the local highway authority. They are kept in a number of large volumes of Ordnance Survey sheets, split into the following geographical areas: Stroud, Forest, Northern, North Cotswold, South Cotswold, Gloucester City and Cheltenham Borough. They show all the publicly maintainable highways in the County, mostly at a scale of 1:10,000; although some larger scale maps are available for urban areas.

You can tell whether a road is classified (A/class 1, B/class 2, and C/class 3) or unclassified (classes 4 and 5) and its highway number. In addition, class 6 highways are shown - these are defined as being maintainable for "non-wheeled traffic" and include the pedestrian routes within modern housing estates. Please note that the Cheltenham and Gloucester maps do not show the classifications; however, if required, this information can be requested from highway records.

The original descriptions allocated to the List of Streets classifications in the 1930s are shown here.

Newly constructed roads and paths will not be included on the maps until they have been 'adopted' by the county council; a list is also kept in the Map Room which details highways that have been recently adopted, but are not yet shown on the maps.

For a view of the whole publicly maintainable highway network across the county, the highway maps should be viewed together with the definitive maps of Public Rights of Way, which are kept in the same public map area.


Information on highway extents

Unlike the definitive maps of Public Rights of Way, the road records are not 'conclusive evidence as to what they contain' because they were not submitted for local consultation when they were compiled in the 1930's. In addition, the small scale of the maps means that they cannot be used for determining the status of small areas or strips of land. Enquiries about the exact extent of the highway will therefore involve research and evaluation of our highway records, early Ordnance Survey information and other documents held by the County Archivist; it may also require a site inspection to be carried out. We are happy to carry out this research on your behalf - details of our charges and how to apply are below.

Please note that Motorways and the Trunk Road network come under the jurisdiction of National Highways; therefore although we can advise our understanding of the extent of highway for these roads, you may wish to confirm the position with National Highways.

Please note we can only supply information regarding properties within the Administrative area of Gloucestershire.  We do not cover South Gloucestershire, and not all GL postcodes lie in Gloucestershire.


Charges for general Highway Records information

Please see below for methods of submission and payment.


Can I submit my enquiry online?

If you require information for any/all of the following set of questions, you can apply online using the "Submit new enquiry & Pay" link below:

  • Confirmation of the nearest 'exact extent of highway', up to 100m (to include any carriageway, verge, footway, etc.)
  • Confirmation of the nearest 'exact extent of highway', up to 200m (to include any carriageway, verge, footway, etc.)
  • Whether up to 3 roads/paths are publicly maintainable highways (answerable by way of a ‘yes’ or ‘no’ answer)
  • Whether any of the roads immediately surrounding the property are covered by an adoption agreement (and bond)
  • Whether any current Public Rights of Way shown on the definitive map cross or abut the outlined site
  • Whether any pending definitive map modification order and diversion / extinguishment applications cross or abut the outlined site
  • Details of any approved but not yet implemented ‘council’ road improvement or widening schemes within 200m of the outlined site
  • Details of any approved but not yet implemented ‘private body’ road improvement or widening schemes within 200m of the outlined site
  • Details of any approved but not yet implemented council traffic regulation orders (excluding speed limit changes) within 200m of the outlined site
  • Details of any applications to permanently remove highway rights from land within 200m of the outlined site.

If your enquiry falls outside of the above, or if you require a quote for 'extent of highway ' lengths over 200m (or over 100m for Utility Company enquiries), you cannot use the online form. Instead, please see below regarding 'can I submit my enquiry in writing?'.


Can I submit my enquiry in writing?

If your enquiry is not listed above and/or you are not able to apply/pay online, you can either email or write to us at:


How to pay online for your enquiry

If you have been provided with a tailored quote and a unique "QHR" reference for your enquiry, please click the "Pay now (using QHR Ref)" link.  Please select the "Highway Records" service (unless advised otherwise), add the supplied QHR reference into the "Reference" box on the form, and do not include the £-sign in the amount box.

Pay now (using QHR ref)

Please do not use this link if you do not have a specific QHR reference.

Please click the below "Submit new enquiry and pay" link and enter your details and the location of your enquiry. Please select "Other Highway Information" when prompted, and you will then be directed to select which questions you wish to ask.

Details of our individual charges will not be listed on the online form, but can be found in the 'Charges' section above. Please ensure you have read them so you are aware of the likely total charge. You will, however, be able to review the cost of your order before being passed to our payment services partner, Capita, who will securely process your card details.

Please also note you will be required to upload a location plan (less than 10mb size) in order to submit your enquiry online.

Submit a new enquiry and pay

Please allow the payment process to fully complete before moving away from the order page. Following online submission and/or payment you will receive 2 confirmation emails (one from us and one from our payment services partner). If you do not receive these within 2 hours of submission, please email for advice.


How else can I pay?

For enquiries submitted in writing (by email or post) we offer the below additional payment options:

Please make cheques payable to “Gloucestershire County Council”, and send to Highway Records, Gloucestershire County Council, Shire Hall, Gloucester. GL1 2TH.

Please state that you wish to pay by invoice when submitting your enquiry. Please also provide your full company name and postal address, and Purchase Order ref (if required).

Please note that invoices are payable immediately on receipt, and payment should not be sent without referencing our official “1800…” invoice number.

Please state that you wish to be set up to be able to pay by invoice when submitting your enquiry. We can then supply the appropriate forms and arrange for a credit check (if necessary), in order for you to proceed.

Please note that the enquiry will only be processed once you have been set up, and it can take a couple of weeks to set up a new vendor.


Turnaround times

On receipt of your written enquiry or online order, we will assess your request and be in touch if we have any immediate queries or require payment of any [additional] fee.  Otherwise, we ordinarily aim to provide a substantive response within approximately 15 -20 working days (although this may increase during very busy periods).

Update 10Aug'22: Our turnaround times are currently approx. 4 weeks. 

To be fair across the majority of our customer base we respond to queries in chronological order and may not be able to accommodate any urgent requests.  Please bear this in mind if you are likely to be submitting ‘time-limited’ requests. We appreciate your understanding at this time and respectfully request that you do not chase your enquiry within this period.


Con29 Enquiries of the Local Authority

Please see our Con29 pages for more information about this service, our charges and how to apply online.

Help us improve Highways

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.