Skip to main content
Your Highways - Report It

Flooding (drainage and gullies)

A major part of the road network is the drainage system, designed to take water away from the road surface. Problems can occur even when it is clean and well maintained.

Flooded or waterlogged roads happen when the amount of water on the road is more than the road drainage can cope with.

Exceptional rainfall, a road being in a low lying area or changes in 'run off' water from nearby land are some of the reasons why a road might flood even though the drainage system is in good working order.

Drainage systems should work without any routine maintenance, although we do normally empty gullies once a year to remove silt.

Drainage gullies and drains can become blocked very quickly when materials like mud or stones are carried onto the road during heavy rain or flooding. This can also happen when there is a heavy fall of leaves.

Report flooding on roads

For flooding on, or from public roads, or to report blocked gullies or gratings please use our online forms

Land drainage

We are responsible for maintaining and repairing drainage and culverts on land we own.

We may take action against other land owners where problems are caused on the road because of damaged drainage on their land.

If you notice flooding or can see that flooding is about to happen on a road please Call: 08000 514 514.

The district or borough council may also serve notice on riparian landowners to remove blockages to watercourses on their land. A riparian owner is someone who owns land which a watercourse or river passes through. This is defined in the Land Drainage Act 1991.

We wouldn't usually get involved in cases where flooding is caused on private property due to run-off from another private property. This is a civil matter between the two landowners.

Report other types of flooding

Flooding from public sewers

The water company own and manage the network of public foul and surface water sewers.

To report an overflowing public sewer in Gloucestershire, you should call

  • Severn Trent Water: 0800 7834444
  • Thames Water: 0800 316 9800
  • Wessex Water: 0345 850 5959
  • Welsh Water: 0800 085 3968

Flooding from a burst water main

Your local water company is responsible for the supply of water mains up to and including the water stopcock.

In the event of a burst water main, please contact your local water supply company; their number will be on your water bill, or can be found on the internet.

Flooding from a main river

The main rivers are the responsibility of the Environment Agency.

In addition, they provide Flood information service, a 24-hour advice and information service for floods and flood warning.

Flooding from watercourses, other than main rivers

Watercourses, other than main rivers, are the responsibility of riparian owners.

You are a riparian owner if your property or land is on, or very near, a watercourse.

Riparian owners have a duty to keep the watercourse clear of any obstruction to flow and we serve legal notices on riparian owners to deal with obstructions.

Guidance Notes - Highways Statutory Duties and Vested Powers

Help us improve Highways

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.