Education of a child with a parent in prison
The children of prisoners are at risk of poor outcomes, many of these children have complex needs and may be from socially excluded families. This group is surprisingly large - there are estimated to be around 160,000 children with a parent in prison. This is two and a half times the number of children in care and over six times the number of children who are involved in child protection measures.
The following guidance is for schools and people working with children:
- Policy for the education of a child with a parent or close relative in prison
- Education of children with a parent or close relative in prison
- Infobuzz provides support to the families of those convicted or accused of committing crime
- Library Services for Education has a list of books that could help children to understand what is happening. Find out more about Library Services for Education.
- Information for families on the GCC website: Support during difficult times