Skip to main content
We believe that human rights are for everyone, every day!

flytheflag.org.uk | @FlytheFlag70


Brexit: if you would like information and advice please visit the GrowthHub

Street Works licence application

Street Works Licence Application for placing new or repairing existing apparatus in the highway

Section 50 Application

  1. Checklist & Procedure for applications
  2. Guidance Notes for Applicants (Section 50)
  3. Section 50 Application
  4. SU Responses (Statutory Undertakers)
  5. SU contact details (Statutory Undertakers)
  6. N Notice (start form)
  7. R Notice (closure form)
  8. Portable Traffic Lights application
  9. TTRO (Temporary Traffic Order) (Road Closure application)


Street works licence application

Statutory undertakers, gas, electric, water and telecommunications, have a right to open any part of the highway (subject to due notification to the Highway Authority) in order to install or maintain their equipment in publicly maintainable highways.

This right to excavate the highway can be extended to any private individual, developer or contractor on application to the Highway Authority for a Street Works Licence, which grants temporary authority to excavate the highway during the duration of those works.

Notification period

Applicants must give a total of 28 days notification to the Local Authority to allow processing time for the licence. If the works involve either a road closure or planned works of a duration of 11 days or more the applicant must give 3 months notification to the local Authority. This allows the legal process for the road closure to be completed. The 28 day period is to ensure there is sufficient time for Utility checks to be carried out and administration tasks to be completed.

We cannot grant tacit consent as there are statutory time limits to be adhered to in issuing of licences.

The fees for new works

£470 for up to 200m length on new apparatus, £150 per additional 200m of road. Repairs onto existing apparatus is £210 – all Fees are 0% VAT

All street works licences granted are subject to the legislation requirements of the New Roads and Street Works 1991 and its associate codes of practice.

What happens if I don't apply for a licence?

Failure to apply for a licence before starting any works, is an offence under the Highways Act and the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991. Any breach of this requirement may result in prosecution with the full recovery of all costs involved and removal of any equipment installed during those works.

All applications are required for you to discuss with the Street Works team and you cannot commence any works until you have been granted a licence from the Street Works team.

How long will the process take?

The processing and granting of your approval may take some time but we will acknowledge receipt of your application within five working days. If you have not heard from us within 7 working days, please contact us using the contact details shown below:


Street Works Team

Network and Traffic Management

Shire Hall

Westgate Street

Gloucester GL1 2TH

E-mail: streetworks@gloucestershire.gov.uk


Help us improve Gloucestershire County Council

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.