EU Settlement Scheme

Advice for residents

If you are a European Union citizen, you and your family will be able to apply to get either settled or pre-settled status. This will mean you can continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021.

The EU Settlement Scheme allows you and your family members to get the immigration status that you will need to continue to live, work and study in the UK. This status means that you continue to be eligible for:

  • public services, such as healthcare and schools
  • public funds and pensions
  • British citizenship, if you want to apply and meet the requirements


Who is eligible to apply?

You need to apply if you are an EU citizen or a non-EU family member of an EU citizen (including children), this includes those with a UK permanent residence document. You do not need to apply if you have indefinite leave to remain or enter but you can if you want to. Visit GOV.UK to find out more about your rights in relation to the EU Settlement Scheme.

Non-Irish, non-British family members of Irish citizens will need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme if they want to remain in the UK after 30 June 2021.

You need to be a resident in the UK by 31 December 2020. If you have been a resident in the UK for five continuous years or more you will be eligible for settled status. If you have been a resident for less than five continuous years you will be eligible for pre-settled status.


When can I apply?

The EU Settlement Scheme is open and you have until 30 June 2021 to apply, however, it is recommended you start your application early. Application guidance can be found on GOV.UK. Once you have read the guidance you can start your application.

Start your application


Support with your application

Applicants only need to complete three key steps – prove their identity, show that that they live in the UK, and declare any criminal convictions. The online application can be accessed through a computer, tablet or smartphone and most people can apply from the comfort of their own home in as little as 15 minutes.

We are partnering with Citizens Advice and GARAS (Gloucestershire Action for Refugees and Asylum Seekers) to reach out to those who need more support to apply for the scheme. Citizens Advice and GARAS can offer information and advice if you have any questions about the application, as well as provide access to a computer if you need help getting online.

If you need support, get in touch with any of the contacts below:


Advice for businesses and employers

The EU Settlement Scheme allows your employees and their close family members to continue to live and work in the UK after Brexit.

Using the scheme will mean that they are eligible for public services, such as healthcare and schools, public funds and pensions and British citizenship, if they want to apply and meet the requirements.

The government's employer toolkit contains a range of ready to use leaflets and posters to help explain the scheme to your employees.

Advice for the voluntary and community sector

The government's community leader toolkit equips local authorities and community groups with the right tools and information to support EU citizens and their families to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme.

The National Council for Voluntary Organisations (NCVO) has Brexit guidance and resources for voluntary and community organisations.


Help us improve Gloucestershire County Council

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.