Update on Team Around Locality Clusters
As part of the wider Joint Additional and High Needs Transformation programme, the Team Around the Locality Cluster (TALC) and Intervention Circle (IC) provide multi-disciplinary support for Gloucestershire’s children and young people who are experiencing barriers to Education.
Meeting educational needs at the right level must be inclusive; involving parents and/or carers, children and young people (CYP), relevant professionals and other appropriate support services. This allows for informed and proportionate responses in a timely manner.
Taken together, the Team Around the Locality Cluster (TALC) and Intervention Circle (IC) form a continuum of multi-agency support, which focus on identifying and addressing unmet educational needs for children and young people across Gloucestershire:
- TALC focus on a non-statutory response at Level 3 of Gloucestershire’s levels of intervention for CYP experiencing barriers to an inclusive, full and appropriate education.
- Referrals are welcomed from Schools
- IC focus on CYP who are open to statutory services at Level 4 of Gloucestershire’s Levels of Intervention or who meet Level 4 indicators (but don’t require a statutory service) and experience barriers to accessing an inclusive, full and appropriate education.
Referrals are welcomed from Gloucestershire County Council Children’s Services teams and their commissioned partners.
While the Intervention Circle (IC) is a new addition to the continuum (launched in September 2021), the TALC (launched in October 2020) is now an established multi-agency forum. Data taken from the 99 referrals received in year one of the TALC demonstrates the following benefits after the intervention:
- 100% of CYP at imminent risk of permanent exclusion saw the likelihood reduce
- 100% of CYP at imminent risk of suspension saw the likelihood reduce
- 100% of CYP at imminent risk of being removed from schools to engage with Elective Home Education saw the likelihood reduce
- 70% of CYP at imminent risk of escalation to an Education, Health and Care Plan saw the likelihood reduce
You can hear what Ben Jordan - Head Teacher at Lakeside primary school in Cheltenham has to say about the benefits of the Team Around the Locality Cluster: