Free School Meals (FSM) – have you applied?
For every child that is entitled to free school meals the school receives extra funding to enhance provision and improve progress and outcomes for children. So please apply even if you do not wish to take up your free school meal.
What are the qualifying criteria for FSM?
Your child might be able to get free school meals if you get any of the following:
- Income Support
- income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- the guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit - your household income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get)
Children who get paid these benefits directly, instead of through a parent or guardian, can also get free school meals.
How long will it take to get a response?
You will receive an instant response as to whether you are entitled to free school meals once you have submitted your claim. All you need is your National Insurance Number and a current email address.
When your application is received, your eligibility will be checked with the Department for Education, Department for Work and Pensions and HM Revenue and Customs. If unsuccessful, children in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 will still receive universal infant free school meals.
FSM for over 16s
All 16-18 year-old learners who are, or whose parents are, in receipt of eligible benefits and enrolled in further education provision funded via the Education Funding Agency can apply for free school meals.
Learners who are aged 19-25 years old who have a Learning Difficulty Assessment (LDA) or an Education Health and Care Plan (EHC Plan) are also entitled to free meals under this scheme.
All eligible 16-18 year-old learners who attend a sixth form at a school/academy can apply using the free school meals on the above link. For all 16-18 learners who attend other colleges/institutions please contact them for more information on how to apply.