Autistic Spectrum Condition Training
In Gloucestershire we offer fully funded autism training to enable the local health and social care workforce to meet local needs.
Our autism training programme is open to all health and social care staff in Gloucestershire, including those in the voluntary and independent sector. The online training modules and workshops are delivered by the National Autistic Society; the leading national charity for autistic people and their families.
The content for these training sessions are compliant with the national Autism strategy 'Think Autism' and Gloucestershire's Autism Strategy 2018 - 2021.
Please see below for further information on those courses, starting from induction level to bespoke courses.
Autism Awareness Online Modules
All e-learning modules are fully funded for anyone living or working in Gloucestershire. The online modules provide an excellent introduction to understanding more about autism.
- Understanding Autism
- Autism and communication
- Autism and sensory experience
- Autism, stress and anxiety
- Autism: supporting families
- Safeguarding children
Please contact the Multi-Agency Workforce Development Team on email@example.com for a registration guide.
Level 1 - Autistic Spectrum Condition Awareness
This session is a one day face to face course delivered by a specialist autism trainer. The session is co-presented by someone with Lived Experience of autism.
It provides an introduction to the autistic spectrum, and includes;
- What is autism?
- How our understanding has evolved
- Anxiety in autism
- The impact of autism on families, and shaping support
It is recommended that you complete the 'Understanding Autism' E-learning module prior to attendance
Course Dates: To be confirmed
Autistic Training for Practitioners
This training is a half day face to face programme that is aimed specifically at social workers, advanced practitioners, and all other roles that directly undertake adult social care assessments.
By the end of this session, each participant will:
- Have a better awareness of how to structure information for people with autism
- Be able to focus on the more positive aspects of each person
- Be aware of the benefits of collating and sharing information
- Learn how to use the National Autistic Society's evidence-based SPELL framework. (Structure, Positive, Empathy, Low Arousal, Links) to undertake effective social care assessments for people with autism
Gloucestershire Autism Professionals Forum
This forum is a dynamic group for professionals and practitioners in Gloucestershire. They are an opportunity to share good practice, increase knowledge and explore new learning prospects around autism.
The forum meets three times a year and are led by the National Autistic Society.
To be included in the distribution list for information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Level 2 - Supporting users with Autism
This one-day training session is aimed at those who want to further their knowledge, having attended Level 1 and develops delegates' understanding of autism.
The course includes:
- Enhancing motivation, confidence and self-esteem, for people with autism
- Promoting choice and control for the individual
- Understanding behaviours which can inhibit progress or impair quality of life or health
You are required to attend the Level 1 Autistic Spectrum Condition Awareness training prior to attending this course.
Course Dates: TBC
For more information on Autism see our page about Autistic Spectrum Condition
If you experience any difficulties registering or accessing any of the above courses, please contact the Multi-Agency Workforce Development Team email@example.com or 01452 324306.