Skip to content

New, Lost or Damaged School Bus Pass applications

NEW school bus pass for pupils 4-16 years old only

Please note – if you have already applied and have received a confirmation of receipt email from the travel assistance team there is no need to re-apply.

When choosing a school you should think about how your child will get there.

Most children and young people do not qualify for help with travel assistance and you will have to make sure you can meet the costs of getting your child to school throughout their education.

We can only help with the travel assistance in certain situations to children who live in Gloucestershire and attend a maintained school or academy. If we can't offer financial help you may be able to pay for a place on a school bus.

The criteria are set out in our policy:

You will need to read and understand this policy before applying.

You may be eligible for free school travel assistance

If your child goes to the nearest, or nearest available school to your home address and is;

  • 2 miles or more for pupils aged under 8 years
  • 3 miles or more for all pupils aged 8 and over

There are extended rights to transport for children over 8 if you are on the following:

  • you are getting the maximum award of Working Tax Credit
  • your child is eligible for free school meals

If you think you are eligible, apply for a seat as soon as you get offered your school place.

Please ensure you provide a valid email address as this will be used for correspondence.

If you think you qualify - apply here

You must apply for travel assistance as soon as you accept the school place for your child.

You can also apply by post using the 4-16 school transport application form 

We can only provide travel assistance to and from one address and this should be the child's main, permanent address.

Lost or damaged school bus pass only

If your child has lost their bus pass a replacement will cost £10.00 - you can order and pay online.The exception being bus passes issued by John Dix Travel and the Swanbrook Churchdown school routes who should be contacted direct for replacements. You will need to provide your child's name, date of birth and school.

Order a replacement school bus pass

This only applies to bus passes issued by Gloucestershire County Council. If your child has a pass issued directly by a bus operator you will need to contact them for a replacement.


Spare Seat Scheme

For more information about Gloucestershire County Council's spare seat scheme, please visit the spare seat scheme page.

If you have already submitted an application for this current academic year, please be reassured that your application will still be considered under the new scheme.

Children and young people with special educational needs may get help with transport but it is not an automatic right. An individual assessment is made of the child's needs and circumstances.

Support available to enable young people with SEND to attend school or college

For the safety and well-being of pupils travelling on schools buses, pupils must behave appropriately and must comply with our code of conduct and the sanctions we may use. Our full Home-to-School-Transport-Policy is here (as above): 4-16 Transport Policy 2021

Reporting a behaviour issue

If you do not meet the entitlement criteria set out in our policy your application for transport assistance will be refused. If, after being refused, you feel that you have extenuating personal circumstances you should request an application form for your case to be considered by a Senior Officer Review Panel. To request a form for a Senior Officer Review, please contact the Transport and Benefits Team on 01452 425390.

On this form, you should clearly demonstrate that our policies do not adequately deal with your circumstances or that your circumstances warrant a decision outside the policy.

If your application is refused by senior officers you can request a formal appeal against their decision and you will be advised of this process in writing.

The GCC transport appeal process can be found here.

Help us improve Gloucestershire County Council

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.