Register a birth

Important note:  From 1st November 2021 you will need a birth certificate in order to claim Child Benefit.  Please ensure you register your child or children within 42 days of their birth in order to obtain a birth certificate.

Please click here to book an appointment

Please be aware that you do not need to bring your baby to the registration appointment if you wish, and can get child care. Please remember though that unmarried parents must attend together.

** Please note - Cheltenham Register Office is located on the 1st floor of the County Offices.  At this present time, the lift to this floor is unavailable.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused.


We are currently only able to offer appointments at the following locations:

  • Charlton Kings Register Office (located within Charlton Kings Library, Tue to Fri only)- GL53 8JN
  • Stroud Register Office
  • Cirencester Register Office (located within Cirencester Library, Tue and Thu only)
  • Moreton in Marsh Register Office (located within Moreton Library, Mon, Wed and Fri only)
  • Cinderford Register Office
  • Gloucester Register Office, Shire Hall

 Please ensure that you arrive in plenty of time for your appointment, we may not be able to carry out your registration of you are late attending


NHS Test and Trace.

NHS Test and Trace is a key part of the country’s ongoing COVID-19 response. As of the 24th September all visitors to Gloucestershire County Council premises will be asked to voluntarily supply their details to NHS Test and Trace by the way of scanning a QR code on site. You will need to use the NHS Covid 19 App to allow you to do this. If you use an Iphone, please download the App via the App store, if you use an Android phone please use Google play. It would be advisable to download prior to your visit to us.

If you are unable to download the App, your details will be requested on the day of the appointment by our staff.


If parents are married or in a legal civil partnership, only one parent should attend.  If parents are unmarried and the parents wish the father’s details to be included, then both will need to attend. (Please see Due to measures to ensure social distancing, apart from the baby being registered, we are unable to accommodate any other children within the Register Office. If you are unable to find childcare for other children, the birth registration can be deferred.


Face coverings 

Although not a Legal Requirement, we would request anyone attending a Registration Office for an appointment to wear a face covering.


Who can register a birth?

  • either the mother or father if they are married to each other
  • the mother, or the mother and father together if they are not married and want the father's details included on the birth certificate


Under normal circumstances you cannot ask anyone else to register the birth of your baby for you. If you are unsure whether you are entitled to register a birth, please contact any of the registration offices for assistance and advice.

If you are not married, and one of you cannot attend the registration office, but would like your details entered on the birth certificate,you must fill out a Statutory declaration of acknowledgment of parentage form which must be brought to the registration by the attending parent.

It is not a legal requirement to include details of the father if you are not married. The father's details can normally be included at a later date, if you marry or wish to include them.

If the baby's parents are married and one of them does not understand English, the parent who does understand English should register the birth.  If the parents attend together and are not married to each other and one of them does not understand English, they must bring a relative or friend with them to act as an interpreter.  The other parent may not interpret for them.

What documents should I bring?

All information relating to a registration is obtained by direct personal questioning of the informant. Informants are asked to provide supporting documentation at registrations to help ensure records are as accurate as possible.

We would ask that you bring, on a voluntary basis, various forms of documents to support all relevant areas of the register entry.

Supporting documents for parents to help with identity, nationality, relationship status and address are:

  • Birth Certificate
  • Passport
  • Driving Licence
  • Proof of Address (utility bill)
  • Marriage/Civil Partnership certificates
  • Deed Poll

The absence of supporting documents will not prevent the registration from taking place.

What will I be asked?

The registration officer will need the following information:

  • The date and place of birth
  • The child's given names and surname
  • The sex of the child
  • If more than one child was born (as in the case of twins or triplets), the registration officer will require a time of birth for each baby
  • The names, surnames and places and dates of birth of the parents and any other names by which they have been known
  • The parents' occupations
  • The mother's home address at the time of the birth
  • The date of the parents' marriage, if applicable, and number of previous children

What will happen at the appointment?

You will be seen in a private room and, in most cases, the registration process should take no more than half an hour.

You can buy a full birth certificate at the time of registration for £11.  We accept cash (please bring the correct money with you if possible) or card payment. Please note we are unable to accept contactless payments.   Alternatively currently you can order a birth certificate onlineOpens new window    at a later date (cost - £11 per certificate)

The baby does not need to be taken to the registration appointment to show that the birth has taken place. The local health authority or the hospital where the birth occurred will notify the registrar of the birth.

If you want to change any details on a birth certificate, see Correct a birth registration


Can I register a birth in Gloucestershire, but the baby was born in a different county?

Births can only be registered in the district in which they occurred. However, You can provide information at any register office in England or Wales.  Details of the birth will be sent to the child's birth district.  You will need to provide a cheque or postal order for any birth certificate you need.  These are £11 per certificate.  Please note you will not get these certificates on the same day of the appointment, these will be posted onto you from the district where the birth took place. Please contact us to make an appointment via 01452 425060 (option 2)

Help us improve Gloucestershire County Council

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.