Section 50 Licence


Section 50 Licence

Document checklist & information required

Before submitting your application you must have these documents ready to upload (preferably as PDF files)

  • Copies of accreditation ID badges for operatives (front & back)
  • Copy of Public Liability Insurance certificate
  • Copy of S106 agreement or any other agreement with Utility provider
  • Site Plan
  • Locality Plan

Also ensure you know:

  • Who the owner of the apparatus will be (this must be the landowner benefitting from the apparatus)
  • The diameter and materials of the apparatus being laid (or specific cable if electric)
  • The length of apparatus in the Highway
  • The type of traffic management that will be used

You must read the Guidance Notes for Applicants before submitting your form. This details the responsibilities of the Licensee.

Application Form

Guidance Notes for Applicants document

Why do I need one?

Statutory undertakers, gas, electric, water and telecommunications, have a right to open any part of the highway (subject to due notification to the Highway Authority) in order to install or maintain their equipment in publicly maintainable highways.

This right to excavate the highway can be extended to any private individual, developer or contractor on application to the Highway Authority for a Street Works Licence, which grants temporary authority to excavate the highway during the duration of those works.

The licence holder can be fined if they fail to meet the statutory duties imposed by the New Roads and Streetworks Act (NRSWA).

How long will it take?

Applicants must give a total of 28 days notification to the Local Authority to allow processing time for the licence.

The processing and granting of your approval may take some time but we will acknowledge receipt of your application within five working days. If you have not heard from us within 7 working days, please contact us using the contact details on the Street Works page

How much will it cost?

  • There is a fee of £490 for up to 200m length on new apparatus.
  • There is a fee of £255 for repairs onto existing apparatus or for excavation only works.
  • There is a fee of £105 for trial holes.
  • There is an additional fee of £150 per additional 200m length of Highway.
  • All Fees are 0% VAT.

Statutory Undertakers (SU) Responses

Why do I need one?

You must contact the relevant Utility (Statutory Undertaker) to clarify if they have apparatus in the highway where you are planning to excavate.

We will ask for the SU Response form to be submitted along with any plans received as part of the Section 50 application process.

How long will it take?

Most Utilities will respond within 2 weeks.

You will need to use two third-party websites to begin carrying out these searches:

These two companies have details of apparatus and maps for several Utility companies. There is also a spreadsheet for contact details of other Utilities that you will need to correspond with directly.

How much will it cost?

There is no fee payable to Gloucestershire County Council.

SU Responses Form

SU Contact details spreadsheet

Help us improve Highways

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.