Skip to main content

Ecological planning advice

Our role

We offer an ecological enquiry service which advises how to conserve and enhance biodiversity in relation to Council services and functions.

How we can help you

If you intend to submit a proposal to us that we need to give our consent to (e.g. waste and mineral developments), contact us at the pre-application stage and we will be able to tell you what biodiversity information, surveys and assessments you should provide. This is part of a paid pre-application advice service but our free general advice for making county planning applications can be found here

For enquiries email ecology@gloucestershire.gov.uk

Gloucestershire Centre for Environmental records (GCER) offers a data enquiries service that provides access to species records, habitat data and details of designated sites.

All District, City and Borough Planning Authorities in Gloucestershire have launched Great Crested Newt District Licensing. This provides a new option for developers to use where planning applications might have an impact on great crested newts. The County Council is also expecting Natural England to grant it a District (or Organisational) licence soon. Using this licence the County Council will be able to simultaneously determine planning applications and safeguard local newt populations. This avoids delays and provides better and more certain outcomes. This is all possible because the Council has joined up to an extended South Midlands scheme where it is being assisted by a specialist company called NatureSpace and a Newt Conservation Partnership. More information on the South Midlands Scheme and what it can do for developers and great crested newts can be found on Nature Space’s website .


Help us improve Gloucestershire County Council

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.