Information sheets about Gloucestershire in WW1, compiled by other researchers
These sheets have been kindly shared with us to provide additional resources for studying WW1
Here you will find information sheets compiled by Archives' volunteer David Drinkwater, listing:
- References to Gloucestershire soldiers in the Cheltenham Chronicle and Gloucestershire Graphic for the years 1914 - 19. Presented in two documents, one that lists the references chronologically and another that lists them alphabetically. Please check both lists to get full details about each soldier.
- People admitted to Red Cross hospitals in Gloucester in the same period, taken from references in local newspapers. Also presented in two documents - one in chronological order and the other alphabetical;
- Text from the wills (held at Gloucestershire Archives) of 71 soldiers who fought for either the Glosters or the Royal Gloucestershire Hussars, along with other available biographical details and images. Presented alphabetically by surname;
- Names of soldiers who appeared on the absent voters lists for Cheltenham electoral division in: 1918, 1920; the spring and autumn of 1921; and 1925. Includes brief details of rank and service;
- Transcribed entries from the Gloucester Diocesan magazine, compiled by Angela Newcombe and edited by David. This is a small but useful database as the details may not be found in any other places, in particular the letters published by local army chaplains about their time at the front (including Gallipoli).
- Transcriptions of the minutes of Cheltenham Borough Council between 1914 and 1918. (CBR/C2/1/2/11-16)
You can also find a list of books and journal articles about Gloucestershire and the First World War, compiled by Steve Blake, Chair of Gloucestershire Local History Association, presented geographically.
John Penny has researched the WW1 period in South Gloucestershire, and has kindly shared the results of his research with us.
We are very grateful to David, Angela, John and Steve for compiling these lists and resources and allowing them to appear on this page.