Skip to content

Complaints we cannot consider

If we cannot consider your complaint, we will let you know why and, if applicable, who you should contact instead. We will aim to do this within 2 working days. Your details will not be passed on by us unless we have your express permission.

Borough / City / District council complaints

If your complaint relates to the following topics, you should contact your local borough / city / district council:

  • Council Tax
  • street cleaning (waste and dry leaves)
  • waste collection (bins and recycling boxes)
  • licencing of private hire vehicles
  • dog fouling
  • fly-tipping
  • noise
  • parks
  • pest control

You can find contact details for your local borough, city or district council here: Borough, City & District Councils contact details.

Commercial agreements

Complaints by organisations with whom we have a commercial agreement to provide goods and services fall under the relevant contract or service level agreement.


If you wish to complain about a coroner’s decision or the outcome of an inquest, you will need to make an application to the High Court for a judicial review. Further information on this procedure can be found at the following link : Coroners’ decisions and the outcome of inquests. This should be done as soon as possible, and within 3 months of the investigation ending.

Council policy

Complaints about council policy or decisions we have made in line with council policy cannot be investigated unless evidence is provided that the policy / decisions have been arrived at incorrectly.


Compensation claims relating to injury or damage will be referred to the relevant Insurance team, and not handled as complaints.

Legal matters

Matters that are subject to legal action, and differences of legal interpretation, can only be resolved through the legal system.

One year time limit

We will not normally consider complaints made more than one year after the alleged injustice became known to the complainant. This is because such complaints are often too difficult to investigate in a full and fair manner. Decisions as to whether we will investigate these complaints will, however, be made on a case-by-case basis.


We are often unable to consider complaints related to parking because there are other review or appeal processes in place. Further information can be found at the following link : Complaints about Parking.

Road safety

If you see inappropriate behaviour by people using the roads, please report it to the Road Safety Community Hub.


Some roadworks are the council’s responsibility. Some, however, are the responsibility of other organisations. While we liaise with utility companies when they arrange roadworks, to help keep disruption to a minimum, complaints about those roadworks would be handled by the utility company themselves. Complaints about roadworks on motorways and some major roads, meanwhile, should be directed to Highways England.


Complaints about schools should, with few exceptions, be directed to the school themselves. Further information can be found at the following link : Complaints about Schools.

Staff complaints

Complaints from council staff can only be investigated if the complaint in question relates to the worker’s experience as a service user.

Please bear in mind that this list may not be exhaustive, and we reserve the right to change this information at any time.

Help us improve Gloucestershire County Council

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.