Many families will face difficulties at some time and some families will have multiple and complex needs. Family support is a way of working with families so they can better manage problems that they may be going through.
We believe in the family’s capacity to succeed with the right support, motivation and challenge in order to achieve positive, sustainable change.
Families First uses a flexible approach with families, according to their individual needs and it is not a ‘one size fits all’. We aim to help families within a 6-12 week review cycle in order to make and sustain improvements.
We use a ‘whole family approach’ which involves identifying the things that are impacting on the family environment and using the family’s strengths to build stronger family units.
Families First can help with things like:
- Keeping your family safe and well – your health and wellbeing, stress and depression, managing disabilities, eating and exercise, drinking or drugs.
- Parenting – support with relationships, communication, routines and responding to children's behaviour.
- Education – help for children and young people to access their education and make positive progress.
- Difficult life events – we can provide a level of support and can also bring in more specialist support if needed to help with managing relationship breakdown, bereavement, trauma, loss and abuse.
- Moving towards employment – find out about training, CV and interview preparation, voluntary work experience and preparation for employment.
- Creating new opportunities – helping you and your family to get involved in community activities and networking with others.
- Housing – help with budgeting, benefits, managing your debts, community relationships and, where needed, we will provide help with hygiene and cleanliness.
- Antisocial behaviour and crime – we can support families to explore ways to reduce antisocial behaviour and offending, and we can bring in with specialist support if needed.
Families first Contacts in your locality