Avian Influenza - Housing Order

Do you have captive birds?

They are required to be housed securely until further notice.


Click here for more information

Animal Movement Licensing

Movement & Identification of Livestock

Notifications of Movements

To try and stop the spread of disease there are strict rules controlling the identification and movements of livestock.

The Disease Control Order requires all movements of sheep, goats, pigs and deer to be notified to the Department for the Environment Food and Rural Affairs (Defra). The details of the movement are entered onto a database so that in the event of a disease outbreak all stock are traceable to enable effective measures to be put in place to control and eradicate highly contagious animal diseases.

These rules apply to you even if you only keep one animal of the species covered.


Sheep and goat holding register

You must keep a register of the animals on your holding. This register holds information about your holding, tags and replacement tags, and all movements of sheep and goats. 

Printable and electronic (Microsoft Excel) versions of the register are available from  Defra.


What movement document do I need?

Cattle movements are notified via the Cattle Tracing System and do not require an Animal Movement Licence, their movements are accompanied by their passport. 

Please note:   We no longer supply movement books. You can download the necessary documents using the following links:

Record of cattle movements, births and deaths (PDF 228KB) 


All movements of deer, sheep, goats, pigs and cattle are controlled by the general licence issued by the Department for the Environment Food and Rural Affairs (Defra).

You will need to keep and retain a copy of the general licence for the animal species that you farm as it informs you of the legal requirements associated with any movement of animals that you undertake. It does not accompany the livestock.

In addition to the general licence, movements of deer, sheep, goats and pigs must be accompanied by a movement document.


How to apply

Sheep, goats and deer

From 1st April 2014 there is a new electronic movement reporting system, the Animal Reporting & Movement Service (ARAMS), provided by SouthWestern. The ARAMS system takes over the processing of sheep, goat and deer movements from each Local Authority in England. 

You will need a form ARAMS-1 for sheep or goats, or ARAMS-2 for deer, available from the ARAMS website or by calling 0844 573 0137. Hard copies are also available at markets and abattoirs. 


You can set up your pig movement on eAML2 online at www.eaml2.org.uk

Or through the eAML2 Bureau Service who will set up the movement on your behalf, providing all necessary paperwork for movements and records: 

Helpline: 0844 335 8400 (Mon – Fri, 9am – 5pm)

Fax: 0247 669 2405

Email: eaml2@bpex.org.uk

Help us improve Gloucestershire Trading Standards

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.