Skip to content

Transport assistance for SEN pupils

Support available to enable young people with SEND to attend school or college

Children and young people with special educational needs may get help with travel to school or college but it is not an automatic right. An assessment is made of the child's needs and individual circumstances.

A door-to-door service is provided only in specific circumstances. Children may have to travel to their nearest pick up point.

Travel assistance may include

  • bus passes
  • cars & taxis
  • mileage paid to parent / personal transport budget
  • minibus

You will need to complete an application form and meet the criteria in order to qualify for help and we will ask for quite a lot of information because:

  • we need to make sure you are eligible for travel assistance
  • if we can offer help, we need to be sure that the arrangements are suitable to meet your child's needs

If you need help with completing the form you can ask staff at the school or college or your health visitor. You can also contact the SEN Travel Enablement Team or the SENDIASS GloucestershireOpens new window for advice.

SEN Travel Enablement Team
Commissioning for Learning
Shire Hall
Gloucester GL1 2TP

If we can't help we will let you know and tell you how you can appeal against our decision.

Read the guidance, policies and download the application forms below.

If you think you are eligible for assistance with travel please read the Guidance and frequently asked questions and the policy before applying.

Apply online for SEN 4-16 travel assistance

You can also apply by post using this form: Home to school travel assistance application form for children aged 4 - 16 with learning difficulties and/or disabilities but this will take longer to process.

If you are applying for travel assistance to attend school or college, please read the post 16 travel policy and apply online using the button below or download and complete the application form (printer required).

Post 16 online Travel Assistance Application Form

Post 16 Transport Policy Statement 2022-23

If you have applied for mileage reimbursement and the application has been approved, you can download and print mileage reimbursement claims form from our page "Apply for a school bus pass".

If you do not meet the entitlement criteria set out in our policy your application for travel assistance will be refused. If, after being refused, you feel that you have extenuating personal circumstances you should request an application form for your case to be considered by a Senior Officer Review Panel. To request a form for a Senior Officer Review, please contact the SEN Travel Enablement Team on 01452 425067

On this form you should clearly demonstrate that our policies do not adequately deal with your circumstances or that your circumstances warrant a decision outside the policy.

If your application is refused by senior officers you can request a formal appeal by elected members against their decision and you will be advised of this process in writing.

For general guidance relating to the way in which data is used, please refer to the SENTE and Mainstream H2S Transport Privacy Notice 2018.


Help us improve Gloucestershire County Council

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.