Messages from Gloucestershire leaders
Leaders at Gloucestershire County Council and partners share messages of support for the campaign and their own thoughts and commitment to equality.
- Cllr Mark Hawthorne, Leader of Gloucestershire County Council
- Pete Bungard, Chief Executive of the Council
- Kathy O’Leary, Chief Executive of Stroud District Council
- Mark Preece, Chief Fire Officer
- Sarah Scott, Executive Director of Adult Social Care and Public Health
- Colin Chick, Director of Economy, Environment and Infrastructure
- Mandy Quayle, Director of People and Digital
- Chris Spencer, Director of Children's Services
- Siobhan Farmer, Deputy Director of Public Health
- Paul Roberts, Chief Executive of Gloucestershire Health and Care NHS Foundation Trust
- Councillor Richard Cook, leader of Gloucester City Council
Celebrating Black History Month is an important part of the calendar at Stroud District Council. Our Black and Minority Ethnic staff have written a series of fascinating personal stories and articles celebrating achievements from our communities to share on our intranet and we are promoting the events being held this month on this year’s theme, ‘Proud to Be’.
The events of Summer 2020 have put Equality, Diversity and Inclusion at the centre of the Council’s agenda. We have run training for all staff and Members and launched an Equality Working Group which has commissioned a Review Panel of community representatives, councillors and historians to look at local statues and commemorations, including the historic, headline-making Blackboy Clock and street names, to ensure that they represent local people’s values and those of a modern, inclusive district. As well as exploring possible outcomes, the review also aims to ensure that the diversity of our communities is reflected and celebrated.
We have supported staff networking groups which have grown for our Black and Minority Ethnic staff and LGBTQ+ staff. We are about to launch Equality Champions to help make a difference now and for the future of our communities, promoting everyone’s right to be proud to be everything they are and want to be.
I am proud to be a champion of Equality, Diversity and Inclusion in the workplace and in our communities, which for me is one of the most important aspects of my role. It is incredibly rewarding to make a difference and see people realising their potential and living life proud of who they are.