Social Media Information and Standards

We welcome anyone with an interest in Gloucestershire life to follow us on social media.

Join the conversation on :

Twitter :

Facebook :

We look forward to hearing from you.

Our use of social media

Through social media, we can update you on many aspects of our work. You can also give us feedback on the services you use, tell us your ideas on how we can improve, or let us know when we have done something well.

Many of our council services use social media - download the full list.

When you follow us on Twitter or like our Facebook page, we will let you know about:

  • council meetings and decisions
  • elections and democracy
  • emergency information e.g. flood warnings, road gritting, unplanned road closures
  • events
  • news and services
  • public consultations

Regardless of terms such as 'follow' and 'like', we do not endorse any individual or organisation by creating a social media connection with them. We also have no fixed approach in regard to who we connect with, though the following list is a guide :

  • Gloucestershire county and district councillors, or other politicians commenting on matters of interest
  • public, private and voluntary sector partner organisations
  • community organisations and campaigning groups
  • media and journalists
  • any other commentators or opinion-formers that the Council may choose to follow.

What you can expect of us

We read all of the messages we receive. Though we may not reply, we will always listen to what you have said, and act as appropriate.

Our working hours are 9.00 – 17.00 Monday to Friday (public holidays excepted). During those hours, we’ll do our best to respond to your enquiry within 4 hours. Enquiries sent outside of working hours will be acknowledged or answered as soon as possible, or when working hours resume.

Please ensure any enquiries you make are as clear and detailed as possible. If necessary, and where appropriate, we will invite you to provide more information in a private Direct Message (DM).

If we can’t answer your enquiry straight away, we’ll let you know that we are gathering the necessary information. We’ll then aim to get back to you within 24 hours of your initial enquiry, though this is not always possible.

Should you feel we have not answered your enquiry, after being given opportunity to do so, you may wish to contact the council’s Complaints team

What we expect of you

We will always respond courteously to you, and we expect the same of those who contact us. As well as complying with the ‘Terms of Use’ of the associated social media platform, the following standards of behaviour should be followed:

  • Please respect the confidentiality of County Council employees. Do not refer to them in a public social media post by name, publish personal information about them, or use their photographs without their permission.
  • Please do not use GCC imagery without permission when setting up social media profiles.
  • Please do not direct messages at us which    
  • Are abusive and / or obscene
  • Violate any laws or regulations
  • Violate our intellectual property rights
  • Persistently mention us in a negative and / or abusive context, with the aim of provoking a response

You are wholly responsible for any content you post (including content you share), and anyone repeatedly engaging with us using content or language which falls into the above categories may be blocked and / or reported to the associated social media platform. In a very small minority of cases contact may be assessed as being unacceptable and in these cases we would apply our Unacceptable Customer Behaviour Policy.

Things with which we can't help

Borough / city / district councils - If your enquiry or comment relates to the following topics, you should contact your local borough / city / district council :

  • Council Tax
  • dog fouling
  • fly-tipping
  • noise
  • parks
  • pest control
  • street cleaning (waste and dry leaves)
  • waste collection (bins and recycling boxes)

You can find your local borough / city / district council here:

Commercial material - While we are happy to receive posts of a commercial nature, we are governed by strict procurement rules and will not respond to them. You can find out more about selling to the council here:

Online reporting - If you want to report an issue with a pothole, street light, public right of way, overgrown plants, flooding etc. the best way to do this is through our online reporting tool. Your report will be allocated a reference number, with which you can add updates and track progress made on the issue.

Politicians / Media - If you are a politician or work for the media, please contact our communications team directly. You can write to them at or call on 01452 427554 (if the matter is an emergency and you are calling out of hours, please ring 07747 898064).

Parking - We are often unable to consider complaints related to parking because there are other review or appeal processes in place. Further information can be found at the following link : Complaints about Parking.

Political restrictions - As outlined in the National Code of Conduct for Communications in local government, we cannot engage on issues of party politics.

Road safety - If you see inappropriate behaviour by people using the roads, please report it to the Road Safety Community Hub.

Roadworks - Some roadworks are the council’s responsibility. Some, however, are the responsibility of other organisations.

  • Roadworks on motorways and some major roads are managed by Highways England
  • Roadworks are sometimes arranged by utility companies (gas, water, electricity etc). We liaise with these companies, to help keep disruption to a minimum, but complaints about these works would need to be directed to the utility company directly.

Urgent matters - We do not have large teams monitoring our social media channels, so if your contact is about a serious, urgent or personal matter, you should get in touch with the relevant council department. If you call Customer Services on 01452 425000, they will be able to connect you.

Vulnerable adults - If you have concerns about the safety of a vulnerable adult, social media is not the right place to report it - please contact Adult Social Care.

Vulnerable children - If you have concerns about the safety of a child, social media is not the right place to report it - please contact Children's Social Care.

We reserve the right to change this information at any time.

Help us improve Gloucestershire County Council

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.